Saturday, December 31, 2011

Week 52 Review: Night of the Living Dead Christian

From Goodreads:
What does a transformed life actually look like? In his follow-up to the critically acclaimed Imaginary Jesus, Matt Mikalatos tackles this question in an entertaining and thought-provoking way: with monsters! As Christians, we claim to experience Christ’s resurrection power, but we sometimes act like werewolves who can’t control our base desires. Or zombies—90 percent shambling death and 10 percent life. Yet through it all, we are longing to become fully human, the way Christ intended . . . we just can’t seem to figure out how. Night of the Living Dead Christian is the story of Luther, a werewolf on the run, desperate to find someone who can help him conquer his inner beast before it’s too late. By turns hilarious and heartbreaking, this spiritual allegory boldly explores the monstrous underpinnings of our nature and our quest for Christlikeness.

My Review:
This was a seriously funny book! Like the zombie telling the lone neighbourhood watch that a monster was chasing it, even though most people would consider a zombie a monster? That was hilarious!!! And very, very churchy, spiritual, with all the different monsters being different types of people, their mind-frames, as Christians. So there were deep, reflective parts, too. So it's a well rounded book!

What surprised me was the more fiction way the author approached the mindsets, really only taking it to being a metaphor for the mindsets during the interludes, but for the chapters, it was more fiction, which I really enjoyed, since I'm not a non-fiction reader, and I thought that this book might be that from the first bit of the description on the back. But it wasn't like that. And I liked that!

I really enjoyed the journeys that the characters went on, and how they realized who they were as Christians, where they wanted to go, with a few bumps on the way, or else it wouldn't be interesting, and with the various monsters of the various mindsets. Very interesting!

I really enjoyed reading this book, so if you like spirtual mixed with monsters, check this book out!

Author: Matt Mikalatos
Read: December 20th, 2011
Source: Tyndale House Publishers ARC
Publisher: SaltRiver
Published: September 20th 2011
3.5/5 Hearts
3.5/5 Books
3.5/5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!