Saturday, December 31, 2011

Week 52 Review: Awaken

From Goodreads:
Maddie lives in a world where everything is done on the computer. Whether it's to go to school or on a date, people don't venture out of their home. There's really no need. For the most part, Maddie's okay with the solitary, digital life—until she meets Justin. Justin likes being with people. He enjoys the physical closeness of face-to-face interactions. People aren't meant to be alone, he tells her. 

Suddenly, Maddie feels something awakening inside her—a feeling that maybe there is a different, better way to live. But with society and her parents telling her otherwise, Maddie is going to have to learn to stand up for herself if she wants to change the path her life is taking. 

In this not-so-brave new world, two young people struggle to carve out their own space.


My Review:
Oh, I loved this book, such a great idea behind it, and the questions it posted, and yeah, it's a scary future to consider, because it's just plain scary! That taking away in person human interactions, never leaving houses, just using a machine to communicate? Even with the ability to not have to, and to the point that it's basically against the law? Scary!

But they are fighting back, which was awesome, and great, because humans, as a whole, can't exist that like. In small does, and small portions of the community, it's fine. But when the majority of human contact is online, well, humans suffer, even if they don't know it.

Maddie slowly discovers herself in this book, growing out of the person who the DS wanted her to be, and what her dad wanted her to be, to become her own person, and yeah, that was pretty incredible to read, someone growing into their-selves.

Her and Justin, I loved them together, they were pretty awesome, and they were a pretty great couple, and yeah, with the way things left off, I want to have more of their story!!!

This was a great novel, and I can't wait to read more!!!

Author: Katie Kacvinsky
Series: Awaken #1
Read: December 27th-30th, 2011
Source: Library
Reason Why: Looked interesting! And I got it from NetGalley, but they archived it before I could read it!
Publisher: Hougton Mifflin Books for Children
Published: May 23rd 2011
5/5 Hearts
4.5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!