Saturday, December 31, 2011

Week 52 Review: Beauty Queens

From Goodreads:
The fifty contestants in the Miss Teen Dream pageant thought this was going to be a fun trip to the beach, where they could parade in their state-appropriate costumes and compete in front of the cameras. But sadly, their airplane had another idea, crashing on a desert island and leaving the survivors stranded with little food, little water, and practically no eyeliner.

What's a beauty queen to do? Continue to practice for the talent portion of the program - or wrestle snakes to the ground? Get a perfect tan - or learn to run wild? And what should happen when the sexy pirates show up?

Welcome to the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Your tour guide? None other than Libba Bray, the hilarious, sensational, Printz Award-winning author of A Great and Terrible Beauty and Going Bovine. The result is a novel that will make you laugh, make you think, and make you never see beauty the same way again.


My Review:
I found this book to be freaking hilarious! I mean, the premise, combined with the cover, and the amazing author, Libba Bray, adds to hilarity! Because there's a a pageant contestant, with lipstick in a belt that supposed to hold bullets. Yeah.

I loved the beginning, and the whole book, but the beginning started off with what is expected, stereotypical about beauty queens, that they're all about fashion and beauty and pretty much nothing else. Well, this book confronts that, that these girls are individuals, and have their own problems and insecurities, and personalities, well, yeah, like every human does.

Though only one bad guy actually got taken out in the end, that I recall, and while I wish more had gone down, this book had a great ending, with the majority of the cast of girls that we got to know, safe, happy, and looking forward to a pretty great future.

I really enjoyed this book, and yeah, can't wait to read more!

Author: Libba Bray
Read: December 27th-29th, 2011
Source: Library
Reason Why: Looked interesting! And it came out on my birthday. This is the 3rd one!
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Published: May 24th 2011
5/5 Hearts
4.5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!