Saturday, December 29, 2012

Week 52 Review: Ash

From Goodreads:
Cinderella retold

In the wake of her father's death, Ash is left at the mercy of her cruel stepmother. Consumed with grief, her only joy comes by the light of the dying hearth fire, rereading the fairy tales her mother once told her. In her dreams, someday the fairies will steal her away, as they are said to do. When she meets the dark and dangerous fairy Sidhean, she believes that her wish may be granted.

The day that Ash meets Kaisa, the King's Huntress, her heart begins to change. Instead of chasing fairies, Ash learns to hunt with Kaisa. Though their friendship is as delicate as a new bloom, it reawakens Ash's capacity for love-and her desire to live. But Sidhean has already claimed Ash for his own, and she must make a choice between fairy tale dreams and true love.

Entrancing, empowering, and romantic, Ash is about the connection between life and love, and solitude and death, where transformation can come from even the deepest grief.

My Review:
I had to read this book! It's set in the same world as Huntress, and I just enjoyed that so much, that I just had to! And I recently bought a copy of it at the library discard sale, which made things just really awesome, reading my own copy!

This is a Cinderella retelling. But a retelling, with things totally different. Like Sidhean, a fairy, that's basically been grooming her to want to come with him. And that she falls in love with the Huntress, instead of the prince. Great, original and unique changes! Loved it!

So Ash isn't as mistreated as the original Cinderella, but she pretty much is ignored, and lived a pretty solitary existence. Which is why Kaisa was such a fantastic character! I enjoyed reading about them, but it was just really special!

I think that Ash made the right decision, not Sidhean, but Kaisa, it was a hard choice, choosing the unfamiliar, but choosing what was right for her, it made for a really great ending! I just enjoyed it so much!

Such a great book, and yeah that I own a copy now!

Author: Malinda Lo
Read: December 27, 2012
Source: Bought
Reason Why: Wanted to reread it, and because it's a YAHFC Book!
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Published: September 1st 2009
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!