Saturday, December 21, 2013

Week 51 Review: Midnight City

From Goodreads:
Earth has been conquered by an alien race known as the Assembly. The human adult population is gone, having succumbed to the Tone---a powerful, telepathic super-signal broadcast across the planet that reduces them to a state of complete subservience. But the Tone has one critical flaw. It only affects the population once they reach their early twenties, which means that there is one group left to resist: Children.

Holt Hawkins is a bounty hunter, and his current target is Mira Toombs, an infamous treasure seeker with a price on her head. It’s not long before Holt bags his prey, but their instant connection isn't something he bargained for. Neither is the Assembly ship that crash-lands near them shortly after. Venturing inside, Holt finds a young girl who remembers nothing except her name: Zoey.

As the three make their way to the cavernous metropolis of Midnight City, they encounter young freedom fighters, mutants, otherworldly artifacts, pirates, feuding alien armies, and the amazing powers that Zoey is beginning to exhibit. Powers that suggest she, as impossible as it seems, may just be the key to stopping the Assembly once and for all. 

My Review:
Loved this book! Such a great world, lots of quirks that were interesting to read about, that were very well detailed, that really moved things along, about Zoey, the artifacts, that were just so cool, and I wanted to read more about!

It took me a while to actually read this book. I mean, I got it from NetGalley, then the library, and finally, tuebl. Because I wasn't making time for it. Well, I did read the beginning, about 60 pages or so, before I lost that time again. Which really is a bummer-if I'd kept on reading, then I could've read more of this world, faster, and now that I think of it, had a bigger wait for more, so maybe not so bad. It could be worse-I could've waited longer to read it!

So Holt is a rarity. The tone doesn't work on him, he's 20, and he's not taken over by the Assembly, instead, he's a bounty hunter, mostly for Midnight City, because it's just about the only place that still has a significant population to pay him (that doesn't have a bounty on him), and people that they want brought in. Like Mira.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the little group of Holt, Mira, and Zoey. They each had strengths and weaknesses, and when they really got into a groove, they worked well with each other, and yeah, that was awesome reading material!

This was such a great book, and with where it ended, yeah, I really want book 2 now (which I'm glad that it came out last month!)

Author: J. Barton Mitchell
Series: Conquered Earth #1
Read: December 15th, 2013
Source: Tuebl/Library/NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded like an excellent book, and it's a 2013 Dystopia Challenge Book!
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Published: October 1st 2012
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!