Saturday, December 21, 2013

Week 51 Review: Etiquette & Espionage

From Goodreads:
Fourteen-year-old Sophronia is the bane of her mother's existence. Sophronia is more interested in dismantling clocks and climbing trees than proper etiquette at tea--and god forbid anyone see her atrocious curtsy. Mrs. Temminnick is desperate for her daughter to become a proper lady. She enrolls Sophronia in Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.

But little do Sophronia or her mother know that this is a school where ingenious young girls learn to finish, all right--but it's a different kind of finishing. Mademoiselle Geraldine's certainly trains young ladies in the finer arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but also in the other kinds of finishing: the fine arts of death, diversion, deceit, espionage, and the modern weaponries. Sophronia and her friends are going to have a rousing first year at school.

My Review:
I wanted to read her adult series first before reading this book. Mostly because I'm 80% sure that this is a spin off series of that, and I like to have a full reading experience, and if I'm right, then I deprived myself of something special. Oh, well. I wanted to read this book!

The title, and the cover. I just have to comment on them! First, the title, love the alliteration, and linking two words, and their meanings together, is so weird, and not really what you'd expect, but they do have a lot in common, so yeah, loved that! And yeah, that cover is just so eerie and haunting! Love it!

To me, it felt like a historical fiction version of Gallagher Girls by Ally Carter, which is awesome, because I love that series! And yeah, just that similarity was enough to make me forgo my want for the the full reading experience!

There were two elements that really came together, that I really enjoyed. The characters, and the aspects of the book that shelves it in the paranormal genre. Because they twined together, mixing together to add depth to the other, and to the story in general, and yeah, that created some really great characters, not to mention Sophronia!

Loved this book a lot, and yeah, really need to check out the prequel series!

Author: Gail Carriger
Series: Finishing School #1
Read: December 15th, 2013
Source: Tuebl
Reason Why: Sounded good, and it's a Historical Fiction 2013 Book!
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Published: February 5th 2013
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!