Saturday, February 18, 2012

Week 7 Review: The Hunger Games

From Goodreads:
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. 

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister Primrose, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

My Review:
Who hasn't heard of the Hunger Games? I'd already read it just a little after Catching Fire came out, but yeah, that was before I had this blog, so now I'm rereading, because I can! And because I really enjoyed this book, and I wanted to read it again!

So first off, the idea of kids being "reaped" to participate in killing each other as punishment and reminder for the districts, and entertainment for the capital, is a horrifying idea. But unfortunately, it's one that can be imagined, and just shows to what lows humanity can go to.

You feel bad for Katniss and Peeta, because to survive they have a love story, that Peeta actually feels, which makes it worse on his side, because Katniss is just too worried about surviving to think about feelings, she was just acting. So yeah, sucks there!

Even though the idea is hard to think about, this is just an incredible story, and yeah, I want to reread and read more!

Author; Suzanne Collins
Series: The Hunger Games #1
Read: February 17th, 2012
Source: Bought
Reason Why: Reread in preparation of the movie, and it's like, the ultimate 2012 Dystopian novel!
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Published: October 1st 2008
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!