Saturday, September 8, 2012

Week 36 Review: A Dance With Dragons

From Goodreads:
In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance—beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death. But Daenerys has thousands of enemies, and many have set out to find her. As they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen, with an entirely different goal in mind.

Fleeing from Westeros with a price on his head, Tyrion Lannister, too, is making his way to Daenerys. But his newest allies in this quest are not the rag-tag band they seem, and at their heart lies one who could undo Daenerys’s claim to Westeros forever.

Meanwhile, to the north lies the mammoth Wall of ice and stone—a structure only as strong as those guarding it. There, Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, will face his greatest challenge. For he has powerful foes not only within the Watch but also beyond, in the land of the creatures of ice.

From all corners, bitter conflicts reignite, intimate betrayals are perpetrated, and a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves, will face seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Some will fail, others will grow in the strength of darkness. But in a time of rising restlessness, the tides of destiny and politics will lead inevitably to the greatest dance of all.

My Review:
OK, I'm of mixed feelings. One hand, I'm grateful that I didn't have to wait long to read this book, as it was already out by the time I got interested in this series. On the other, however, is that I read this book, comparatively with the release dates of this series, early to the release of this one, with a longer wait for the next one.

Which makes me kinda wish that I'd either still hadn't heard of this series, or that the books were a tad bit shorter, because I don't think I can reread this series any time in the next, oh, 10 years or so. And The Winds of Winter, I'm thinking, is going to be out by then, between the TV show and estimates from the time between Crow and Dragon!

Yes, we get Dany again! She's one of my most favourite characters in the series, I've read her chapters over and over, and yeah, her story here, well, she's staying in one place, and remember how that turned out the last time?

There were just a lot of cliffhangers in this one (apparently, it was still too long, even after being spilt from Crow) with Dany, Jon, both in some not so good situations! And then there's Tyrion, Arya, and Sansa to hear from again!

Really enjoyed this book, and I just really hope and pray that the wait for The Winds of Winter is over before I forget how much I enjoyed this series! What with my memory and all!

Author: George R. R. Martin
Series: A Song of Ice and Fire #5
Read: September 1st-3rd, 2012
Source: Library
Reason Why: Loved the first 4 books, had to read this one!
Publisher: Bantam
Published: July 12th 2011
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!