Saturday, September 8, 2012

Week 36 Review: The Next Best Thing

From Goodreads:
At twenty-three, Ruth Saunders headed west with her seventy-year-old grandma in tow, hoping to be hired as a television writer. Four years later, she's hit the jackpot when she gets The Call: the sitcom she wrote, The Next Best Thing, has gotten the green light, and Ruthie's going to be the show-runner. But her dreams of Hollywood happiness are threatened by demanding actors, number-crunching executives, an unrequited crush on a boss, and her grandmother's impending nuptials. 

Set against the fascinating backdrop of Los Angeles show business culture, with an insider's ear and eye for writer's rooms, bad behavior backstage and set politics, Jennifer Weiner's new novel is a rollicking ride on the Hollywood rollercoaster and a heartfelt story about what it’s like for a young woman to love, and lose, in the land where dreams come true.

My Review:
This was a really funny book! A really great one, too, and gave a great look into what it's like for TV shows, because the majority of the population, we only see the finished product, not all the work that goes into getting a show to that point.

The Next Best Thing, Ruth's show, was a lot of fun! This book was just fun of fun, with the characters and everything that they get into. Yeah, it was really awesome to be able to read it, though I didn't get to it early like I could've!

I just want to say, that what happened to her show, well, I hope doesn't happen to my favourites, current or past, because yeah, it was not really good what happened to her show! And since Jennifer Wiener has experience in the area, well, shows that it does happen. Yeah.

I really enjoyed these characters, they were the other half of the the funny, because oh, the situations that they get into! Like her grandmother marrying again. You'd think at 73, she'd be content with the life she lived, and start to settle down a bit. She was really funny!

This was a great book, so enjoyable, and fun!

Author: Jennifer Wiener
Read: September 6th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded like a good book!
Publisher: Atria Books
Published: July 3rd 2012
5/5 Hearts
2/5 Books
3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!