Saturday, May 5, 2012

Week 18 Review: Shadow and Bone

From Goodreads:
Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee. 

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling. 

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha…and the secrets of her heart.

My Review:
This was a wonderful, amazing, and spectacular book! I absolutely loved being in this world, it was dark, it had a splendour to it, even with mentions of war, and battles and fighting and assassins, and magic. Well, they call it the small sciences.

I loved Alina, she was a smart ass, and had a lot of snarky comments, and she didn't always say them, but she had them! She also was both weak and strong, she had power, and she learned to use it after unblocking it, but she also wants a home, she's been an orphan for most of her life.

But she has Mal. Well, not for most of this book, because as it turns out, he was out hunting the stag, for an amplifier for Alina for her power. And yeah, when he comes back, he really doesn't like the fact that she's been hanging around the Darkling. And I can't blame him!

I really enjoyed the Darkling at first. But then just after halfway through the book, his true colours were shown, by his mom, and yeah, that was a twist that I wish hadn't happened, because before that, he was sympathetic, but then we find out it was mostly an act, and yeah, that's just so sad!

I really, really enjoyed being in this world, it was a wonderful book, and yeah, I can't wait for the next book!

Author: Leigh Bardugo
Series: The Geisha Trilogy #1
Read: May 2nd, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded really good, it's a LLFL book, YAHFC book, and it's a DAC book!
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)
Expected Publication: June 5th 2012
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!