Sunday, May 13, 2012

When the Heart Falls: Guest Post and Review

Today, I'd like to welcome over Kimberly Lewis, author of When the Heart Falls, over for a guest post!

My Inspiration for becoming an Author

I have always had a love of all things artsy: reading, drawing, writing, music, etc. When I was a child I really embraced drawing and for the longest time I wanted to become an illustrator for children’s books. In order to practice my skills I would actually write my own little short children stories, illustrate them and then give them to my  elementary school librarian for her to put in our library. She was so supportive and every time I would bring her a new book she’d actually read it to our class when it was our turn for library time, and then place it on the book shelf for others to “borrow”. I love that woman and miss her dearly. I’ve got to be honest with you though; these books were not the greatest but were definitely creative. I can recall one of them being about a piece of broccoli that was a detective and helped people solve stupid little mysteries.

Okay, you can stop laughing now :)

As the years went by my writing took the backseat and I really focused on art. My dream of becoming an illustrator changed to becoming a graphic artist. I took classes and looked at art schools with every intention of attending one after I graduated high school. But then one day I realized that it wasn’t fun anymore and that I really didn’t want to pursue a career in art. Reading, writing, all of that was pushed aside as I entered the real world. I started to get that writing itch again a few years ago when the whole Twilight craze happened. I was inspired after seeing the movie and thought, “I can totally write something in this genre!”

Needless to say it didn’t happen. Oh I tried, but it was horrible and I deleted after I’d only written one chapter. About a year or two later a friend of mine gave me this book and told me that I had to read because it was amazing. It was a contemporary romance novel and up until that point all the romance novels I had read had been historical. It took me a little bit to get into it (just because reading contemporary stuff wasn’t my style) but soon I was so engrossed in the story that I hated to put it down. After I finished with that one she loaned me another.

Soon after this I realized that I wanted to write romance novels. And not just any romance novel, contemporary western romance novels. The whole ranch life and cowboy thing just appeals to me. I have to give my friend credit here because I don’t think I’d be where I am today if she hadn’t loaned me those cowboy books. I truly felt inspired after I read them and it was just the sort of thing that I needed to nudge me in the right direction. Now here I am, one book published and another about to be. It is exciting to finally achieve my goal of becoming an author and I am thankful for everyday of this wonderful experience.

What was your inspiration for becoming an author?

From Goodreads:
When Misty Prescott moved back home to her parent's ranch after catching her husband cheating on her, she couldn't have possibly known that she'd fall for not one, but two cowboys at the same time. Nor could she have known that getting involved with both men would bring unwelcome excitement, turning her already messed up world completely upside down. As Misty's relationship with Vance Kinney begins, she can't help but develop an intense attraction to her best friend's older brother, Dylan McCoy. But just as Misty makes her choice, she indirectly becomes the target of one horrific event after another. Now, Misty must fight the very obstacles that threaten to tear her apart from the man she loves, and survive the danger lurking around every corner that threatens their very lives.

My Review:
This was an amazingly sweet read! Misty, hurting from discovering her 10+ year marriage is ruins, goes back home. Dylan has just come back home after his dad dies in a accident, to take care of the farm. And unbeknownst to the both of them, a plot of money-making is about to come crashing, or has already, come, into their lives, and not for the better.

Misty is a young lady who's been in a marriage that isn't going anywhere, married in haste because of a teenage pregnancy, she discovers her husband's a lying, cheating bastard, and moves out on him, and her parents welcome her back with open arms, and it was very heartening that such a bond could be formed between child and parents.

Dylan, well, his mind is pretty sharp, and while I wish he could've had to work at trying to figure out what was wrong, when he didn't really know that anything was wrong, well, the book wasn't like that, and he still got to wonder for a bit where some money had come from, this book mostly focused on the relationships between the characters, the bad, the worst, and the best, and yeah, they were really great!

The bad guys coming out, it could've been more climatic, but what with the various bad things that had happened throughout the book, they balanced out, it ended out in a great book!

When the Heart Falls is an adorable novel, and a quick read, and yeah, hope you guys check it out!

Author: Kimberly Lewis
Read: May 13th, 2012
Source: Virtual Book Tour Cafe Review Copy
Reason Why: Sounded like a good book!
Published: November 10th 2011
4/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
4/5 Stars
Bio:
In November of 2011, author Kimberly Lewis stepped into the writing world with her first original contemporary romance novel When the Heart Falls. Born and raised on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, this country girl at heart caught the creative bug at an early age, doing everything from drawing to writing short stories. After the birth of her son, Kimberly found the inspiration to pick up a pen, or in this case a laptop, and began writing her first novel. Since then she has continued to write and credits her husband Rob and her wonderfully crazy family, who with their love and joking demeanor provide her with the ideas that inspire her novels. In her spare time she enjoys reading, horseback riding, and spending time with her amazing family.

Contact and Buy AKA Links:

Stops on the Tour:
April 27 - Introduction at VBT Cafe' Blog
May 2 - Guest Blogging at Mass Musings
May 5 - Interviewed at BK Walker Books Etc.

May 7 - Review & Interview at A Book Lover's Library 

May 9 - Interviewed & Reviewed at My Addiction is Reading
May 11 - Guest Blogging at Books Are Magic
May 14 - Review & Guest Blogging at Words I Write Crazy
May 16 - Guest Blogging at Waiting on Sunday to Drown 
May 18 - Guest Blogging at MK McClintock's Blog 

May 21 - Reviewed at Mass Musings

4 comments:

  1. It's always fun to hear how writers became inspired to write and don't worry, many of can't write in the Twilight genre. Your genre is much more fun anyway! Nice post Kimberly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for having me on your blog today Louisa! And thank you for the awesome review! I'm so glad you liked it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post and what a great review. Thank you for hosting Kimberly today :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know :) especially since that journey is the reason why we get to hold these amazing books in our hands :)

    No problem :) it was a great book :)

    :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!