Saturday, May 5, 2012

Week 18 Review: The Peculiars

From Goodreads:
This dark and thrilling adventure, with an unforgettable heroine, will captivate fans of steampunk, fantasy, and romance. 

On her 18th birthday, Lena Mattacascar decides to search for her father, who disappeared into the northern wilderness of Scree when Lena was young. Scree is inhabited by Peculiars, people whose unusual characteristics make them unacceptable to modern society. Lena wonders if her father is the source of her own extraordinary characteristics and if she, too, is Peculiar. 

On the train she meets a young librarian, Jimson Quiggley, who is traveling to a town on the edge of Scree to work in the home and library of the inventor Mr. Beasley. The train is stopped by men being chased by the handsome young marshal Thomas Saltre. When Saltre learns who Lena’s father is, he convinces her to spy on Mr. Beasley and the strange folk who disappear into his home, Zephyr House. A daring escape in an aerocopter leads Lena into the wilds of Scree to confront her deepest fears.

My Review:
This was a really strange book. It was really good-but it's also really freaking strange! Which I think was conveyed quite easily through everything that's available pre-reading-the title, cover, and synopsis! Yeah.

But the synopsis is also misleading, because the majority of the book, as I recall, takes place at Mr. Beasley's house, and they only go to the wilds of the Scree in the ending, with hope and such. Though that's what I remember, not what might actually be true!

I loved the uniqueness of this book, with the goblins, and the Scree, and the peculiars, and how the world is set up! It was really great and awesome to read about! And while there weren't any real myths presented in this book, it doesn't matter. I would really love a sequel!

This was a really fantastic-though very odd-book, and I enjoyed reading it a whole ton!

Author: Maureen Doyle McQuerry
Read: May 1st, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: It sounded good, and it's a DAC book and a YAHFC book!
Publisher: Amulet Books
Published: May 1st 2012
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!