Saturday, May 19, 2012

Week 20 Review: North of Beautiful

From Goodreads:
As he continued to stare, I wanted to point to my cheek and remind him, But you were the one who wanted this, remember? You're the one who asked-and I repeat-Why not fix your face? 

It's hard not to notice Terra Cooper.

She's tall, blond, and has an enviable body. But with one turn of her cheek, all people notice is her unmistakably "flawed" face. Terra secretly plans to leave her stifling small town in the Northwest and escape to an East Coast college, but gets pushed off-course by her controlling father. When an unexpected collision puts Terra directly in Jacob's path, the handsome but quirky Goth boy immediately challenges her assumptions about herself and her life, and she is forced in yet another direction. With her carefully laid plans disrupted, will Terra be able to find her true path?

Written in lively, artful prose, award-winning author Justina Chen Headley has woven together a powerful novel about a fractured family, falling in love, travel, and the meaning of true beauty.

My Review:
This was a really fantastic book! I enjoyed reading it so much, because while I have plain looks, Terra is beautiful-except the mark on her check, because people don't think that it's beautiful-so it was really great to be in her shoes!

Her dad made me want to shake him. He's her dad, he should treat her better then that, and while he starts to learn that he was wrong, well, for me, it'd be too little, too late. But Terra's the one that has to live with him!

For me, what I got out of this, was finding your true beauty, when others try to knock you down. What I don't understand is, how people can treat others that way. Be courteous and polite, don't assume anything about their life, because you don't know what it's like.

Such a fantastic book, I enjoyed reading it a lot, and loved the thing that grew between Terra and Jacob!

Author: Justina Chen Headley
Read: May 16th, 2012
Source: Library
Reason Why: Sounded good, and it's a reward challenge book and a LLFL book!
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Published: January 6th 2009
5/5 Hearts
4.5/5 Books
4.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!