Saturday, March 31, 2012

Week 13 Review: The Fortunes of Indigo Skye

From Goodreads:
I suddenly see where I'm standing, and that's at the edge of change - really, really big change.

Eighteen-year-old Indigo Skye feels like she has it all - a waitress job she loves, an adorable refrigerator-delivery-guy boyfriend, and a home life that's slightly crazed but rich in love. Until a mysterious man at the restaurant leaves her a 2.5 million-dollar tip, and her life as she knew it is transformed.

At first its amazing: a hot new car, enormous flat-screen TV, and presents for everyone she cares about. She laughs off the warnings that money changes people, that they come to rely on what they have instead of who they are. Because it won't happen...not to her. Or will it? What do you do when you can buy anything your heart desires -- but what your heart desires can't be bought?

This is the story of a girl who gets rich, gets lost, and ultimately finds her way back - if not to where she started, then to where she can start again.

My Review:
This was a pretty darn good book, if the first 100 pages were not described in the above, well, it sets up the characters and the setting, and to be a comparison between the normal, and the 2.5 million dollars. And all those pages, I didn't want to read them, because I knew she'd get the money and things would be crazy, but once she actually did, that fear went away, because she was mostly influenced by other people, like her boyfriend, her friend, her siblings, and the only ones who don't really want it are her dad, and her mom. Yep.

The characters in this book were weird. Like one character asks the others how many places they've laid their heads to rest, and there were varying answers. And they had weird ideas, like her boyfriend had the renounced catholic product line, and they had weird musing, and I didn't want things to change. But once she took control, and made her goals, well, things were way better. Especially since she wasn't quite the best driver in the world.

Or her brother, and the girl whom he thought was his girlfriend, inviting him over, and him thinking he'd be a part of the pool party, coming in a swim suit, and her meaning for him to be a waiter, well, that was really sad, she was quite cruel with that, after he'd been her date to an important dance. Yep.

After she's gone crazy with the spending, and she's alienated pretty much everyone, and she needs an escape, she goes to LA, and there she learns some valuable lessons, from being on a beach just to be seen, or singers who were just images, and false ones at that. Yep.

This was a really good book, one that I liked, but yeah, the first 100 pages, I just didn't want to read them. But I did, and I really loved the rest of the book!

Author: Deb Caletti
Read: March 24th-26th, 2012
Source: Library
Reason Why: I wanted to!
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing
Published: March 25th 2008
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!