Saturday, August 6, 2016

Week 32 Review: Nevernight

From Goodreads:
In a land where three suns almost never set, a fledgling killer joins a school of assassins, seeking vengeance against the powers who destroyed her family.

Daughter of an executed traitor, Mia Corvere is barely able to escape her father's failed rebellion with her life. Alone and friendless, she hides in a city built from the bones of a dead god, hunted by the Senate and her father's former comrades. But her gift for speaking with the shadows leads her to the door of a retired killer, and a future she never imagined.

Now, a sixteen year old Mia is apprenticed to the deadliest flock of assassins in the entire Republic — the Red Church. Treachery and trials await her with the Church's halls, and to fail is to die. But if she survives to initiation, Mia will be inducted among the chosen of the Lady of Blessed Murder, and one step closer to the only thing she desires.

Revenge. 

My Review:
I enjoyed reading this book so much! I've really enjoyed Jay Kristoff's previous books, but yeah, this was just that tiniest better then Illuminae, and since that was co-written, the jump is actually a bit more then "tiniest!"

The way this story was told, from the narrator's voice, to the endnotes (though I would have preferred footnotes, and yes, I had to look it up to see that I was using the right terms!) They had this dry humor, and that fit well with this dark book!

I loved the details of this book, a lot revealed in the endnotes, that just explored little bits and pieces of this world, and hey, they might be important later! Regardless, they were really facinating to read! There was a lot of thought put into this world, and I kinda hope that there's more than the 3 books in this series that we currently know about!

One word to describe this book? Brutal. The world, the training, the way that violence was depicted graphically, yeah, brutal is a good word to cover it! This book took no prisoners, and didn't care about being clean-it dove straight into the mud!

There was a a few mysteries in this book. Like who was killing the students outside of the whole initiation process. Which turned out to be pretty important, all the little clues coming together for that ending! That was unexpected! Then there's the mystery of what happened during the truedark during her 14th year. Because that popped up, and yeah, that was pretty bloody!. There was another that was hinted at multiple times, I'm pretty sure, if I connected the dots correctly. And if I did, that ending was more cliffhanger-y then I thought, because I want to know more!

This book isn't going to be for everyone. It's about a murderess who seeks revenge and complicated backstabbing to get to the top and yeah, it isn't for the faint of heart! Even if the caveat emptor gave hints as to where this series is going, yeah, this book was different, and so enjoyable!

Loved this book so, so, so much, and I can't wait for the sequel!

Author: Jay Kristoff
Series: The Nevernight Chronicles #1
Read: August 1st, 2016
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Love his writing, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2016 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Thomas Dunne Novels
Expected Publication: August 9th 2016
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!