Saturday, July 20, 2024

Week 29 Review: Betrayal Road

From Goodreads:
The stranger frequenting Azelie Vargas's local coffee shop is a sight to behold. He's tall, dark, muscular, and a complete distraction. She's worried one look from his striking silver eyes will have her acting a fool. But it's not a look that sets Azelie aflame—it's the way he boldly tells her every dark, dirty thing he'd like to do to her. She should be scandalized. Instead, all she wants to do is say yes.

Andrii "Maestro" Federoff is in San Francisco on club business. Torpedo Ink needs information to bust up a human trafficking ring, and Maestro has found his mark. After weeks of stealthy observation, he's not sure if Azelie is involved directly, or if she's just working for some bad people. What he does know is that he needs to get close to her fast, and soon he can't get enough.

What began as a setup quickly turns real. But no matter how hot they burn, Maestro's betrayal could leave their hearts smoldering in the ashes.…

My Review:
I loved reading this book, it was mostly of course I would, though that mostly has been because there has been that one book that I didn't completely love. Meeting Azelie, watching her and Maestro fall in love-when he's the Torpedo Ink member who was controlling and gave horrible romantic advice to the previous heros...yeah, it was so great!

I was worried about them, because he was using her to get to her boss, since her boss was involved in the human trafficking that Torpedo Ink is working on taking down. Which is not a good look for someone who wants to be your romantic partner, you know? So that had my anxieties stoked.

One that that got to me, that I wanted him to learn, was he kept going on about betrayal, and not being able to trust that these guys know security and protection, and the couples having different strengths but being equals. One, she has to put her trust that a) he knows his stuff about security, and b) his application of that security is not going to hurt her, that it's going to be in her best interests. Two, while that's a great idea in practise, in reality, the strengths that the guy has, are viewed as better to have then feminine strengths, so it doesn't feel equal, which is something that the woman has be reassured on. 

Something that I really enjoyed, was that Azelie is an author-she's published a few books and is working on the next. The insights that she had about being an author, from the price of ink and paper, to that awful trend of buying a book, reading it, and returning it, was so great to read! 

All in all this was a really entertaining, engaging read with characters who I had to read more of, dealing with some pretty terrible things, and I loved following along with their journey as they dealt with those things and fell in love! 

This was another fantastic read and I can't wait for whatever comes next! 

Author: Christine Feehan 
Series: Torpedo Ink #9
Read: July 19th, 2024 
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Love her writing and this world, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2024 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Berkley 
Expected Publication: August 20th 2024
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!