Saturday, May 11, 2024

Week 19 Review: Vera Wong's Unsolicited Advice for Murderers

From Goodreads:
Put the kettle on, there's a mystery brewing…
Tea-shop owner. Matchmaker. Detective?

Sixty-year-old self-proclaimed tea expert Vera Wong enjoys nothing more than sipping a good cup of Wulong and doing some healthy "detective" work on the internet (AKA checking up on her son to see if he's dating anybody yet).

But when Vera wakes up one morning to find a dead man in the middle of her tea shop, it's going to take more than a strong Longjing to fix things. Knowing she'll do a better job than the police possibly could – because nobody sniffs out a wrongdoing quite like a suspicious Chinese mother with time on her hands – Vera decides it's down to her to catch the killer.

Nobody spills the tea like this amateur sleuth.

My Review:
I had such a fun time reading this book! I loved her YA books and her Aunties series, so I knew I would have a good time, and yeah, I did! The humor in this book was just so excellent, and I loved this found family of potential murder suspects! 

Vera's life has gotten very small, she has her routine, but her husband has passed, her son doesn't really want to spend any time with her, and her shop clientele is on the older end and have slowly been dying off. And then a man dies inside her shop and things get interesting!

I loved this cast of characters, almost all of them had a reason to want to kill the guy, they all thought it was possible that they might have had a part in it, but they all were nice people-it just is that the victim wasn't nice, and caused a lot of potential motives.  

The way that the mystery came together, with those parts that seemed to be unconnected was brilliant! I wasn't expecting that ending, but it was so satisfying, if a little sad, the way that it all came together. And just so cute to read all of them together in the end, where we left them! 

This was a fantastic read, and if it becomes a series, I will definitely read more! 

Author: Jesse Q. Sutanto 
Read: May 7th, 2024
Source: Bought 
Reason Why: Love her writing, and it's a SAC 2024 Book! 
Publisher: Berkley 
Published: March 14th 2023
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!