Saturday, May 11, 2024

Week 19 Review: The Deer and the Dragon

From Goodreads:
The deities you call aren't always the ones who answer. Marlow needs to believe she's crazy. The alternative would mean embracing the gift―or curse―shared by her mother and she can see angels and demons, including a dark and haunting entity who's been with Marlow her entire life. At least, she believes that's all he is until a fae from the Nordic pantheon strolls into her life and informs her that she's been sharing a bed with the Prince of Hell. A Prince who's now gone missing. Before she knows it, Marlow is deeply entangled in a centuries-old war, stumbling straight into a battleground between mighty beings of myth and legend from powerful pantheons around the world. And who will come out on top may just depend on her and the love she never dared to believe in.

My Review:
This was a really fantastic read! It's dark and sexy and I had such a great time in this world, with these characters. To have all these pantheons, and factions, and this look at the bible and Christianity, yeah, I had to know what was going to happen next! 

Marlow was pretty fantastic, she was a sex worker, and now she's an author, who thinks she's insane because of her imaginary friend, Caliban. To find out that he was real, that she wasn't crazy, entering this world, yeah, that was pretty eye opening for her! So of course she goes on a quest to find him. 

The way that she treated him after that incident, where he tried to get her to not say something that she would regret-and she did-she blocks him from her life. Which, I mean, I know why she did it, but she was the one that put those restrictions up, he wasn't able to help directly because of them. 

One thing that I noted was just how descriptive Marlow's reactions were. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it, because she was frequently in situations that were panicking, and I know that I wouldn't do any better, but it's not something that I loved to read.

That ending was just evil for us readers! To end it like that, not knowing the outcome, I mean, sure, it's probably likely that those we're rooting for made it out okay, but we haven't seen it yet, and to have to wait until the next book is going to be awful! 

I had a great time reading this book and I can't wait to continue on! 

Author: Piper C.J.
Series: No Other Gods #1
Read: May 8th, 2024
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2024 Book! 
Publisher: Tantor Audio
Published: May 7th 2024
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!