Saturday, August 17, 2024

Week 33 Review: Curse of the Celts

From Goodreads:
You are accused of crimes against the Code. How do you plead?

After failing to escape the Roman metropolis of Londinium with Devyn, her lover, and Marcus, her betrothed, Cassandra wakes in inky darkness to find the ground giving way to sand beneath her feet.

All three of them have been carted back to the notorious arena at the heart of the city to stand trial by public vote. Cass knows they must escape at any cost: to warn the Celts of the mysterious blood curse ravaging their kin, to foil the schemes of the imperial council…

To find the fabled Lady of the Lake, the one who could save them all.

But even as the jaws of death close in around her, another threat looms in the shadows, a danger she never could have foreseen, a betrayal that could burn down her entire world.

Fans of The Hunger Games will revel in this sweeping dystopian adventure set in an alternate fantasy universe where the Roman Empire never fell.

My Review:
I had a really great time reading this book! After that ending of the previous book, I had to know what was going to happen next for these characters! And boy was it a story, and so much happen!

The end of the last book had me nervous for this one, of how they were going to get out of that situation. I wanted the truth about what had been done to her snd her mom to come out, to shame the empire. But what happened ended up being pretty good to read. 

Sometimes these characters exasperated  me. Devyn knows how the Celts work, but he doesn’t tell her, which just makes it harder on everyone. And since we’re in Cass’s head, we know what she was thinking. But she is a young adult in a perilous situation.  Especially with that one reveal. 

That ending though? That was so shocking that it went there. I mean between that huge betrayal and that loss, that was unexpected and really thrilling to read, even if it was something causing massive pain. And I’m so excited to see where things go from there!

I really enjoyed this book and I can’t wait to finally finish out this series!

Author: Clara O'Connor
Series: The Once and Future Queen #2
Read: August 16th, 2024 
Source: NetGalley/Library
Reason Why: Loved the first book, and it's a 2024 Dystopia Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2024 Book and a Sophomore Challenge Book! 
Publisher: One More Chapter
Published: March 18th 2021
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!