Saturday, January 24, 2015

Week 4 Review: Excavation

From Goodreads:
High in the Andes, Dr. Henry Conklin discovers a 500-year-old mummy that should not be there. While deep in the South American jungle, Conklin's nephew, Sam, stumbles upon a remarkable site nestled between two towering peaks, a place hidden from human eyes for thousands of years.

Ingenious traps have been laid to ensnare the careless and unsuspecting, and wealth beyond imagining could be the reward for those with the courage to face the terrible unknown. But where the perilous journey inward ends--in the cold, shrouded heart of a breathtaking necropolis--something else is waiting for Sam Conklin and his exploratory party. A thing created by Man, yet not humanly possible. Something wondrous . . . something terrifying. 

My Review:
I really enjoyed rereading this book! It's been forever since I read it, I just knew that it's by James Rollins, and that it was really great, and yeah, that's really all I needed to know. And half the reason I'm on this rereading kick, I think, is to get reviews for books by my favourite authors that don't have them yet, and this fits that bill!

There really isn't romance in this book. I mean, there's interest and 2 potential couples, but it's mostly flirting, and maybe moments, until the end. And that was really good and enjoyable! I liked that a lot, so it didn't take the focus off the thriller!

I really didn't like the bad guys at all! Especially since it seemed like they were Russian nesting dolls, one person was more powerful the next as the layers were peeled back. But some of them were pretty unexpected! I mean, the Inquisition in the past was bad enough, from what I know of history-to have a modern day sect? Not cool!

That ending was really creepy! Not the whole Sam was saved by the material, and then everything was blown up because it plus fire equals boom, but the epilogue, with the supposedly dead scientist, 2 years later, working with the material, discovering that it's purpose was to spread alien life in the galaxy, and that created the white skinned, black eyes with various roles seen in the book! And he deliberately created them!

Favourite lines: "'You Texans have no poetry in your souls. Just iron and dust.' 'And beer. Don't forget the beer.'" Well, even with the beer, that's not a lot there occupying said souls! "'I hate putting my life in Philip's hand.' 'And if we survive, we'll never live it down.'" Yeah, that would kinda suck! "He did not know what surprised him more-that the mummy was a member of the Spanish Inquisition or that he had a date." It should be the mummy! "In Ireland, we drink your pins warm...but right now, I'm even willin' to bow to your crass American custom of drinkin' it cold." Well, you are in this situation! "I never been tacked by a slab of granite before." Good thing, seeing what this one did! "I've heard of pulling someone's leg, but this is ridiculous." Yeah, using body parts of long dead corpses as torches is pretty out there! "Oh, don't go Oprah on me, Ralph. I'm not talkin' to the hand." Yeah, you are kinda in a tough situation, and he is injured, so if something happens, he wants to be left behind!

This was a really great book, I enjoyed rereading so much, and I can't wait for more!

Author: James Rollins
Read: January 22nd, 2015
Source: Own
Reason Why: Rereading! And it's a SAC 2015 Book!
Publisher: Harper
Published: March 1st 2007
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!