Saturday, August 10, 2024

Week 32 Review: Secrets of the Starcrossed

From Goodreads:
In a world where the Roman Empire never fell, two starcrossed lovers fight to ignite the spark of rebellion…

Londinium, the last stronghold of the Romans left in Britannia, remains in a delicate state of peace with the ancient kingdoms that surround it. As the only daughter of a powerful merchant, Cassandra is betrothed to Marcus, the most eligible bachelor in the city.

But then she meets Devyn, the boy with the strange midnight eyes searching for a girl with magic in her blood.

A boy who will make her believe in soulmates…

When a mysterious sickness starts to leech the life from citizens with Celtic power lying dormant in their veins, the imperial council sets their schemes in motion. And so Cassandra must make a choice: the Code or Chaos, science or sorcery, Marcus or Devyn?

Panem meets the Grishaverse in this explosive new YA trilogy perfect for readers of Marie Lu, Bella Forrest, and Cassandra Clare. 

My first review of Secrets of the Starcrossed
My Review:
I really enjoyed reading this book again! I enjoyed it the first time I read it, but I didn't continue on with the series. But I'm going to this time, but I had to reread it, to refresh myself on the details. Because oh, that ending, yeah. I'm glad I reread it!

I'm not sure if it's a fault of the narration or the writing, but I listened to the audiobook of this book this time, and sometimes, what was being said was annoying in a way that makes me think that I'm growing out of YA, or that maybe this was more younger YA, despite some of the more mature elements of the story. Like, everything was so simple and straightforward, the way that it was said, and didn't feel realistic. 

I do enjoy reading about these characters in this situation, because man, the struggle between the Code and technology, and Celtic power and magic, when one thing is all you've ever known, it's hard to understand how it's flawed. And my weakness as a reader, is that I'm in the character's perspective, I don't think about what they're not seeing, what blind spots they have, because I'm in their perspective-it's my blindspot, and I'm aware of it, but I don't really know how to solve it. 

All I want from that ending, is for Cassandra to counter, to ask about what about the crimes the Code has committed against her, murdering her mom, kidnapping her, raising her to look down on her own heritage. I mean, I doubt that it's going to happen, but I can picture it so clearly! 

This was such a great read and I need to continue on this time! 

Author: Clara O'Connor
Series: The Once and Future Queen #1 
First Read: May 31st, 2021
Read: August 8th, 2024
Source: Library
Reason Why: Rereading, and it's a 2024 Dystopia Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2024 Book!
Publisher: One More Chapter
Published: January 21st 2021
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!