Saturday, October 5, 2024

Week 40 Review: The Games Gods Play

From Goodreads:
The gods love to toy with us mere mortals. And every hundred years, we let them…

I have never been favored by the gods. Far from it, thanks to Zeus.

Living as a cursed office clerk for the Order of Thieves, I just keep my head down and hope the capricious beings who rule from Olympus won't notice me. Not an easy feat, given San Francisco is Zeus' patron city, but I make do. I survive. Until the night I tangle with a different god.

The worst god. Hades.

For the first time ever, the ruthless, mercurial King of the Underworld has entered the Crucible—the deadly contest the gods hold to determine a new ruler to sit on the throne of Olympus. But instead of fighting their own battles, the gods name mortals to compete in their stead.

So why in the Underworld did Hades choose me—a sarcastic nobody with a curse on her shoulders—as his champion? And why does my heart trip every time he says I'm his?

I don't know if I'm a pawn, bait, or something else entirely to this dangerously tempting god. How can I, when he has more secrets than stars in the sky?

Because Hades is playing by his own rules…and Death will win at any cost.

My Review:
This was such a fantastic read! I didn't know it before I bought this book, that Abbigail Owen was the same author of the Dominions series, but knowing that had me even more excited for this book, and I was already pumped. Oh, was it a great read!

I really enjoyed this world of the various gods, and how there's all the different pantheons, all existing at being aware of in the modern times. And this Crucible, to determine who would be the ruler of the gods for a century, based on which god's mortal champion won the game, so they wouldn't fight over leadership again.

Lyra is an interesting character-her mother's waters broke while she was praying at Zeus's temple for favor for her child, and said child, Lyra ends up being cursed being unable to be loved, which is such an asshole thing to do. So she's pretty mad at Zeus, not that she can do much about it.

Until Hades chooses her to be his champion in this latest game and oh, was that a delight to read! I loved their batner and their relationship. Watching as the trials progressed, and she learned more about what was going on, well, I do have a theory, and I'll be interested to see if I'm going to be correct or not...

Loved reading this book, and I can't wait for the sequel! 

Author: Abigail Owen 
Series: The Crucible #1
Read: September 28th, 2024
Source: Bought 
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded really good, and it's a 2024 Retelling Reading Challenge Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2024 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Entangled: Red Tower Books
Published: September 3rd 2024
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!