Saturday, February 8, 2014

Week 6 Review: Crush. Candy. Corpse.

From Goodreads:
Paradise Manor is depressing - the smells are bad and the residents are old. Sunny would much rather be doing her volunteer hours at Salon Teo, but her teacher won't let her. Who says volunteering at a hair salon doesn't benefit the community?

But working with the Alzheimer's patients has a surprising effect on Sunny. Along with Cole, the grandson of one of the residents, she begins to see that the residents don't have much more choice about their lives than she does: what they eat, how they are treated by staff, even what they watch on television. So Sunny does what she can to make the residents happy - even if she has to sometimes break the rules to do it.

But when tragedy strikes at Paradise, Sunny's left to make the decision about whether or not to honor a promise that Cole made to his grandmother about her life and her death.

My Review:
I really enjoyed this book, that when back in forth, from Sunny's trial, to the events that led up to why she was on trial-candy that Sunny may or may not have fed to Cole's grandmother, so that she could die. And yeah, that was interesting, and sad, too, because it is one of those hot potato topics.

The one main thing that I didn't like, was the formatting on my ARC, which I'm pretty sure is different in the finished copies, and that was because the transition between the trial and her diary entries and the events mentioned or just before or after the journal entries, was not good at all, and I had to reread it a few times to realize that was what was going on, and I got the hang of it, but I wish that I didn't have to.

Other then that, I really enjoyed this book, because yeah, Sunny lived up to her name, except that her mom's cancer may or may not be back, and that cancer is why Sunny has a lock of hair died pink. Sunny was really caring of the residents, she formed attachments to them, and then there was Cole.

Cole, who she fell in love with, while she had a boyfriend, so on top of the issues with the nursing home, there was that, and then when Cole gets hurt, right around the time that his grandmother's condition worsens, well, things aren't too good for Sunny. And then there was the candy incident with Cole's grandmother, where she dies.

I really enjoyed this book, and I could've even more, but currently levels were pretty good, too!

Author: Sylvia McNicoll
Read: February 5th, 2014
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded good, and it's a SAC 2014 Book!
Publisher: James Lorimer & Company
Published: February 17th 2012
5/5 Hearts
3/5 Books
3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!