Saturday, November 17, 2018

Week 46 Review: Little White Lies

From Goodreads:
"I'm not saying this is Sawyer's fault," the prim and proper one said delicately. "But."

Eighteen-year-old auto mechanic Sawyer Taft did not expect her estranged grandmother to show up at her apartment door and offer her a six-figure contract to participate in debutante season. And she definitely never imagined she would accept. But when she realizes that immersing herself in her grandmother's "society" might mean discovering the answer to the biggest mystery of her life-her father's identity-she signs on the dotted line and braces herself for a year of makeovers, big dresses, bigger egos, and a whole lot of bless your heart. 

The one thing she doesn't expect to find is friendship, but as she's drawn into a group of debutantes with scandalous, dangerous secrets of their own, Sawyer quickly discovers that her family isn't the only mainstay of high society with skeletons in their closet. There are people in her grandmother's glittering world who are not what they appear, and no one wants Sawyer poking her nose into the past. As she navigates the twisted relationships between her new friends and their powerful parents, Sawyer's search for the truth about her own origins is just the beginning.

Set in the world of debutante balls, grand estates and rolling green hills, Little White Lies combines a charming setting, a classic fish-out-of-water story, and the sort of layered mystery only author Jennifer Lynn Barnes can pull off. 

My Review:
I enjoyed reading this book so much! I mean, I really enjoy every word that Jennifer Lynn Barnes writes, but with each book there's the fear that I won't, so every time, I'm glad that I do enjoy each book. This book was so great, there were so many twists, and the big reveals kept coming and coming! It was so great to read!

Sawyer didn't grow up in the rich, fancy world. She had to be self sufficient, and be more like the parent than her mom was. She didn't care about the judgement of the upper class, but when she enters that world, yeah, I think I felt more culture shock than she did! She was so calm and collected, and I loved her responses! So hilarious!

One thing that I loved about this book was the back and forth between the preceding 9 months, and the present with the girls telling the story in jail. Which as I was writing my short Goodreads review of this book, is kinda important, as 9 months is also the length of a typical pregnancy, and the existence of Sawyer as an illicit pregnancy is a big drive in this book!

So there are a few questions/avenues that the next/future books can take. Where is Ana, what happened to her child, is a biggie. One that I'm randomly wondering, is who was Greer's baby daddy? And what's going to happen once her fake pregnancy is more widely known-as in, her husband? Also, how how Lily and Olivia are going to react to the fact that Sawyer's dad is J.D.? Yeah. Can't wait!

This book was so fantastic, and I can't wait to see where things will go in the sequel!

Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Series: Debutantes #1
Read: November 13th, 2018
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Love her writing so much, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2018 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Freeform
Published: November 6th 2018
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!