Saturday, November 21, 2020

Week 47 Review: The State of Us

From Goodreads:
When Dean Arnault's mother decided to run for president, it wasn't a surprise to anyone, least of all her son. But still that doesn't mean Dean wants to be part of the public spectacle that is the race for the White House—at least not until he meets Dre.

The only problem is that Dre Rosario's on the opposition; he's the son of the Democratic nominee. But as Dean and Dre's meet-ups on the campaign trail become less left to chance, their friendship quickly becomes a romantic connection unlike any either of the boys have ever known.

If it wasn't hard enough falling in love across the aisle, the political scheming of a shady third-party candidate could cause Dean and Dre's world to explode around them.

It's a new modern-day, star-crossed romance about what it really means to love your country—and yourself—from the acclaimed author of We Are the Ants and Brave Face, Shaun David Hutchinson.

My Review:
This was a really fantastic read. I loved reading about Dre and his flamboyance, and Dean with his old soul. They were so great to read about and I loved their relationship, and the troubles that they had to work through. It was just so great to read! 

Loved the fact that Dean is on the ace spectrum. I'm not sure if I've mentioned it here on the blog, but I'm 90% sure I am, as well, given that I'm halfway through my 20's and never been kissed or had a crush. That last 10% is because this is a self-diagnosis, with no outside validation. But yeah, it was great to have that rep!

I felt bad for Dean, because part of this book is the question of if his mom would accept him for being on the ace spectrum, for being attracted to boys more than girls when he got to know a person. And that doubt that your parent won't accept you, when before it's always been rock solid, well, it's a struggle that Dean had to go through. 

There's a point when they're talking about their parent's politics, and Dre goes how Dean's mom thinks that same sex marriages shouldn't be a right that they have. And I'm like, if you don't think same sex marriages isn't a right for them to have, then you don't think any marriage is a right, because to deny any right like this-of who a person is, not something like gun control, which isn't who a person is-is despicable. So. All or nothing.

I loved the fact that they both had pretty strong friends. There were some ups and downs, but overall, they were pretty tight knit. And that is a great help at the end. Loved how they took down the dude who it was easy to compare to a certain US president. It was just so satisfying! 

We don't find out which of their parents won the election. And I both love and hate that. After all, they only met because of the presidential election. But it didn't matter too, too much who won. I just want to know, though!

This was such a great book, I really enjoyed reading it! 

Author: Shaun David Hutchinson
Read: November 20th, 2020
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really great and it's a SAC 2020 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: June 2nd 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!