Saturday, November 21, 2020

Week 47 Review: The Blood Spell

From Goodreads:
Blue de la Cour has her life planned: hide the magic in her blood and continue trying to turn metal into gold so she can help her city's homeless. But when her father is murdered and a cruel but powerful woman claims custody of Blue and her property, one wrong move could expose her—and doom her once and for all. The only one who can help? The boy she's loathed since childhood: Prince Kellan.

Kellan Renard, crown prince of Balavata, is walking a thin line between political success and devastating violence. Newly returned from boarding school, he must find a bride among the kingdom's head families and announce his betrothal—but escalating tension among the families makes the search nearly impossible. He's surprised to discover that the one person who makes him feel like he can breathe is Blue, the girl who once ruined all his best adventures. 

When mysterious forces lead to disappearances throughout Balavata, Blue and Kellan must work together to find the truth. What they discover will lead them to the darkest reaches of the kingdom, and to the most painful moments of their pasts. When romance is forbidden and evil is rising, can Blue save those she loves, even if it costs her everything?

My Review:
This was a really great read. I've really enjoyed this series, and this appears to be the conclusion, since it was published early 2019, and no book was published in early 2020. So I'm sad to say goodbye, but I really enjoyed these retellings of fairy tales! 

I loved their relationship, especially in the beginning. It was pretty antagonistic, mainly because she's on the outside, doesn't know the guilt he feels over his father's death, and wants better for the kingdom. So I really enjoyed the progression of their relationship!  

Honestly, I sympathized with the one bad guy. After all, with one or two tweaks (like her not killing people in her way) she could've been a good person. After all, she only wanted security for herself and her daughters. And what her husband did was just plain awful. But that didn't mean she had to do what she did to Blue.

That ending, man! I mean, they were wrong with way that they viewed magic, they took their fear too far, which is really easy to do. But I'm glad that it worked out that way, it was a great mix of this world and the fairy tale, and it was a really satisfying ending, and I really enjoyed it! 

This was such a great read, I really enjoyed it, and I can't wait to read more by C.J. Redwine! 

Author: C.J. Redwine
Series: Ravenspire #4
Read: November 15th, 2020
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Love her writing and this series, and it's a 2020 Retelling Reading Challenge, A-Z Reading Challenge Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Published: February 12th 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!