Saturday, November 28, 2020

Week 48 Review: Pieces of Her

What if the person you thought you knew best turns out to be someone you never knew at all . . . ?

Andrea knows everything about her mother, Laura. She knows she's spent her whole life in the small beachside town of Belle Isle; she knows she's never wanted anything more than to live a quiet life as a pillar of the community; she knows she's never kept a secret in her life. Because we all know our mothers, don't we?

But all that changes when a trip to the mall explodes into violence and Andrea suddenly sees a completely different side to Laura. Because it turns out that before Laura was Laura, she was someone completely different. For nearly thirty years she's been hiding from her previous identity, lying low in the hope that no one would ever find her. But now she's been exposed, and nothing will ever be the same again.

The police want answers and Laura's innocence is on the line, but she won't speak to anyone, including her own daughter. Andrea is on a desperate journey following the breadcrumb trail of her mother's past. And if she can't uncover the secrets hidden there, there may be no future for either one of them. . . .

My Review:
Wow, this book was so fantastic! I've really enjoyed Karin Slaughter's books, but almost all of them have been in the Grant County/Will Trent series, this is (currently) one of the few stand alones. And it's such a great read!

I loved the way that this was told, alternating between Andrea in the present, and flashing back to around the time before she was born, explaining why her mom acted the way she did at the shootout-and why the things happening after the publicity of the shootout occurred. I loved how the different parts of the story wove together! 

I could feel for Andrea, that it seems like she doesn't have her life put together and she's now in her 30's. And then this all rocks the boat, and she learns secrets about her mom that really have her questioning basically everything.

But man, that past storyline, it was so gripping! There were so many secrets, and when we got to the end, it was just so dark and satisfying, and I just really enjoyed how it ended! It's morally grey, and just a perfect ending to this book!

Loved reading this book, it was such a great read! Now I really need to finish up reading all of Karin Slaughter's books, I think I only have Cop Town left! 

Author: Karin Slaughter
Read: November 21st, 2020
Source: Bought/Edelweiss
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded really good! And it's a SAC 2020 Book!
Publisher: William Morrow
Published: August 21st 2018
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!