Saturday, December 21, 2013

Week 51 Review: Dance of Shadows

From Goodreads:
Dancing with someone is an act of trust. Elegant and intimate; you're close enough to kiss, close enough to feel your partner's heartbeat. But for Vanessa, dance is deadly – and she must be very careful who she trusts . . .

Vanessa Adler attends an elite ballet school – the same one her older sister, Margaret, attended before she disappeared. Vanessa feels she can never live up to her sister's shining reputation. But Vanessa, with her glorious red hair and fair skin, has a kind of power when she dances – she loses herself in the music, breathes different air, and the world around her turns to flames . . . 

Soon she attracts the attention of three men: gorgeous Zep, mysterious Justin, and the great, enigmatic choreographer Josef Zhalkovsky. When Josef asks Vanessa to dance the lead in the Firebird, she has little idea of the danger that lies ahead – and the burning forces about to be unleashed . . .

My Review:
I really enjoyed this book, it was pretty enticing, and entertaining, if a bit superficial, and from a remark on another review, a self contained bubble-it's isolated from the outside world, and insulated in the inside world, the two not coming together, because nothing of either effects the other. And that was sometimes a good thing, and sometimes it annoyed me.

This is one of the few-few-books where I when I read it, I really enjoyed it, but coming out of the book high, out of the characters POV's, and reading others reviews of the book for details that I need for my own review (like some names of characters that aren't above) that the lower star reviews and the points why the reviews are lower start, start to take over my "This is so good!" thoughts. Which sucks. But oh, well.

Because looking back, those lower star reviews have points. Like how much sense does it, that her whole purpose is looking for her sister, and then she immediately is distracted by boys, and puts her sister off for the boys. It's like, do you really care about your sister, or your love life. But anyways.

There was the secret society, Lyric Elite, that kept mortals safe from the misuses of the art of dance, which yeah, sounds really weird, and adds to the paranormal aspect of the book, but also some of the silliness that there's such a thing, and that said organization didn't catch on to 20 years of this ballet's leading female dancer disappearing.

Yeah, I really enjoyed this book, and I can't wait for the sequel-but it did have its flaws.

Author: Yelena Black
Series: Dance of Shadows #1
Read: December 14th, 2013
Source: Tuebl
Reason Why: Sounded good and it's a DAC Book!
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Published: February 12th 2013
5/5 Hearts
4.5/5 Books
4.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!