Saturday, October 15, 2016

Week 42 Review: As Old as Time

From Goodreads:
What if Belle's mother cursed the Beast?

Belle is a lot of things: smart, resourceful, restless. She longs to escape her poor provincial town for good. She wants to explore the world, despite her father's reluctance to leave their little cottage in case Belle's mother returns--a mother she barely remembers. Belle also happens to be the captive of a terrifying, angry beast. And that is her primary concern.

But Belle touches the Beast's enchanted rose, intriguing images flood her mind--images of the mother she believed she would never see again. Stranger still, she sees that her mother is none other than the beautiful Enchantress who cursed the Beast, his castle, and all its inhabitants. Shocked and confused, Belle and the Beast must work together to unravel a dark mystery about their families that is twenty-one years in the making. 

My Review:
Oh, wow, this book was fantastic! This book kinda slid under my view, so it was out before I knew about it, which was kinda a good thing, because that meant that I could just dive right on into reading it instead of waiting for it to be released!

So the change in this book was that her mom was the enchantress. I mean, that could happen in the original tale, but only because we really have no details on Belle's mom. And I'm guessing that because of that change, that was why Belle was able to touch the rose-and why it was destroyed like that. Yeah.

My one complaint, is that this takes place in a recognizable world. The other two hadn't, as far as I remember. So it was a bit disorienting, taking in the details of this world-which were expanded upon, and and so excellent-but still, I'd have preferred to be in a different world than our own with a few changes!

One different from the previous books that I liked in this one, was that this story was narrated mainly by Belle, and her parents, whichever one could tell the story as their times came to affect the present! Sure, we did get one or two Beast narrations, but not as much as the heroes in the previous books!

That ending was just epic! That Gaston wasn't really the bad guy, though he did bad things, and instead, it was guy running the asylum whose name I've already forgotten. That worked so well, and it was just a great part of this book!

Yeah, loved this book, and I can't wait to have more books in this series!

Author: Liz Braswell
Series: Twisted Tale #3
Read: October 11th, 2016
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Love her books and this series, and it's a 2016 Retelling Reading Challenge and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2016 Book!
Publisher: Disney Press
Published: September 6th 2016
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!