Saturday, May 6, 2017

Week 18 Reviews: A Stroke of Midnight, Mistral's Kiss, A Lick of Frost, Swallowing Darkness, Divine Misdemeanors, A Shiver of Light






From Goodreads:
I am Meredith Gentry, P.I. and Princess Merry, heir to the throne of Fairie. Now there are those among me who whisper I am more. They fear me even as they protect me. And who can blame them? I’ve awakened the dazzling magic that’s slumbered in them for thousands of years. But the thing is, I can’t figure out why.

I am Meredith Gentry, P.I., solving cases in Los Angeles, far from the peril and deception of my real home–because I am also Princess Meredith, heir to the darkest throne faerie has to offer. The Unseelie Court infuses me with its power. But at what price does such magic come? How much of my human side will I have to give up, and how much of the sinister side of faerie will I have to embrace? To sit on a throne that has ruled through bloodshed and violence for centuries, I might have to become that which I dread the most.

Enemies watch my every move. My cousin Cel strives to have me killed even now from his prison cell. But not all the assassination attempts are his. Some Unseelie nobles have waited centuries for my aunt Andais, Queen of Air and Darkness, to become weak enough that she might be toppled from her throne. Enemies unforeseen move against us–enemies who would murder the least among us.

The threat will drive us to allow human police into faerie for the first time in our history. I need my allies now more than ever, especially since fate will lead me into the arm of Mistral, Master of Storms, the queen's new captain of her guard. Our passion will reawaken powers long forgotten among the warriors of the sidhe. Pain and pleasure await me–and danger, as well, for some at that court seek only death.

I will find new joys with the butterfly-winged demi-fey. My guards and I will show all of faerie that violence and sex are as popular among the sidhe as they are among the lesser fey of our court. The Darkness will weep, and Frost will comfort him. The gentlest of my guards will find new strength and break my heart. Passions undreamed of await us–and my enemies gather, for the future of both courts of faerie begins to unravel.

From Goodreads:
I am Princess Meredith, heir to a throne of faerie. My day job, once upon a time, was as a private detective in Los Angeles. Unfortunately, princess has now become a full-time occupation.

My aunt, Queen Andais, will have it no other way. And so I am virtually a prisoner in faerie–trapped here with some of the realm's most beautiful men to serve as my bodyguards . . . and my lovers. For I am compelled to conceive a child: an heir to succeed me on the throne. Yet after months of amazing sex with my consorts, there is still no baby. And no baby means no throne. The only certainty is death at the hands of my cousin Cel, or his followers, if I fail to conceive.

Now Mistral, Queen Andais's new captain of the guard, has come to my bed–defying her and risking her terrible wrath in doing so. But even she will hesitate to punish him in jealous rage, because our joining has reawakened old magic, mystical power so ancient that no one stands against it and survives. Not even my strongest and most favored: my Darkness and my Killing Frost. Not even Mistral himself, my Storm Lord. But because Mistral has helped to bring this magic forth, he may live another day.

If I can reclaim control of the fey power that once was, there may be hope for me and my reign in faerie. I might yet quell the dark schemes and subterfuges surrounding me. Though shadows of obsession and conspiracy gather, I may survive.

From Goodreads:
I am Meredith Gentry, princess and heir apparent to the throne in the realm of faerie, onetime private investigator in the mortal world. To be crowned queen, I must first continue the royal bloodline and give birth to an heir of my own. If I fail, my aunt, Queen Andais, will be free to do what she most desires: install her twisted son, Cel, as monarch . . . and kill me. 

My royal guards surround me, and my best loved–my Darkness and my Killing Frost–are always beside me, sworn to protect and make love to me. But still the threat grows greater. For despite all my carnal efforts, I remain childless, while the machinations of my sinister, sadistic Queen and her confederates remain tireless. So my bodyguards and I have slipped back into Los Angeles, hoping to outrun the gathering shadows of court intrigue. But even exile isn't enough to escape the grasp of those with dark designs.

Now King Taranis, powerful and vainglorious ruler of faerie's Seelie Court, has leveled accusations against my noble guards of a heinous crime–and has gone so far as to ask the mortal authorities to prosecute. If he succeeds, my men face extradition to faerie and the hideous penalties that await them there. But I know that Taranis's charges are baseless, and I sense that his true target is me. He tried to kill me when I was a child. Now I fear his intentions are far more terrifying.

From Goodreads:
I am Meredith, princess of faerie, wielder of the hands of Flesh and Blood, and at long last, I am with child–twins, fathered by my royal guard. Though my uncle, Taranis, King of Light and Illusion, claims that he is the true father since he abducted me from my home, betrayed, and defiled me. And now he has branded my guards as a threat to my unborn children.

Bearing an heir has placed me halfway to my aunt's throne, that much closer to my reign over the Unseelie Court–and well ahead of her son, my cousin Cel, in this race. Now I must stay alive to see my children born and claim my place as queen.

But not all in faerie are pleased with the news, and conspirators from every court in the realm plot against me and mine. They seek to strip my guards, my lovers, from me by poisoned word or cold steel. But I still have supporters, and even friends, among the goblins and the sluagh, who will stand by me.

I am Meredith Nic Essus, and those who would defy and destroy me are destined to pay a terrible price–for I am truly my father's daughter. To protect what is mine, I will sacrifice anything–even if it means waging a great battle against my darkest enemies and making the most momentous decision ever made as princess of faerie.

You may know me best as Meredith Nic Essus, princess of faerie. Or perhaps as Merry Gentry, Los Angeles private eye. To protect my unborn children, I have turned my back on the crown, choosing exile in the human world with my beloved Frost and Darkness. Yet I cannot abandon my people. Someone is killing the fey, which has left the LAPD baffled and my guardsmen and me deeply disturbed. I thought I'd left the blood and politics behind in my own turbulent realm. But now I realize that evil knows no borders, and that nobody lives forever—even if they're magical.

I am Princess Meredith NicEssus. Legal name Meredith Gentry, because "Princess" looks so pretentious on a driver's license. I was the first faerie princess born on American soil, but I wouldn't be the only one for much longer...

Merry Gentry, ex–private detective, now full-time princess, knew she was descended from fertility goddesses, but when she learned she was about to have triplets, she began to understand what that might mean. Infertility has plagued the high ranks of faerie for centuries. Now nobles of both courts of faerie are coming to court Merry and her men, at their home in exile in the Western Lands of Los Angeles, because they will do anything to have babies of their own.

Taranis, King of Light and Illusion, is a more dangerous problem. He tried to seduce Merry and, failing that, raped her. He's using the human courts to sue for visitation rights, claiming that one of the babies is his. And though Merry knows she was already pregnant when he took her, she can't prove it.

To save herself and her babies from Taranis she will use the most dangerous powers in all of faerie: a god of death, a warrior known as the Darkness, the Killing Frost, and a king of nightmares. They are her lovers, and her dearest loves, and they will face down the might of the high courts of faerie—while trying to keep the war from spreading to innocent humans in Los Angeles, who are in danger of becoming collateral damage.

My Review:
I absolutely loved reading these books! However, most of this review, it seems, is going to be complaints. Because I usually love books with few complaints, well, it's easier to write reviews that are more negative than reviews that are more positive! Yeah.

Merry goes through a lot in these books. She adds another important lover to her men, and then another-Mistral and Sholto. She becomes pregnant, her uncle kidnaps and rapes her, she finds out that her cousin murdered her dad-and she kills her cousin. Lots of emotional, traumatic events! But Merry is still strong, logical and devious. Still so amazing to read about!

I'm a bit confused with the timeline. Because A Stroke of Midnight is when they left Los Angeles, and the book ended when they went to sleep, and then Mistral's Kiss started with a press conference, presumably the next day, and then later was with Galen that was to be his alibi when he was accused of rape. But Merry hadn't started making time last longer until around this 2nd day. So it seems like it should've been two different days. But when the law stuff happened, they were both in Los Angeles and in Faerie. So confused!

Another confusion, was, wasn't the reason that she had sex with Adair was to find out if it was only guys who she'd had sex with that she could mark? Because I don't recall any trying of marking him after all that-or really, having it mentioned again, besides Merry using the mark she'd already given to Doyle to find him. Yeah. Another confusion!

While it's been 3 years since A Shiver of Light came out, looking at Goodreads, I'm pretty sure it's not the last book in the series. Laurell K. Hamilton answered several questions about the series, which the facts are these-2 years ago she said that there were still stories, that Ash and Holly would be important, and something about possible short stories. So yeah, we get more, get to see more of the babies, and more of this world!

I did really enjoy reading these books-after all, I read the whole series that's currently published in 3 days!

Author: Laurell K. Hamilton
Series: Merry Gentry #4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Read: April 29th, 29th, 29th, 30th, 30th, 30th, 2017
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Love her books and this series! And they're Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2017 Books!
Publisher: Ballantine Books, Berkley
Published: January 1st 2005, December 12th 2006, October 23rd 2007, November 4th 2008, December 8th 2009, June 3rd 2014

A Stroke of Midnight:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars









Mistral's Kiss:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars









A Lick of Frost:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars









Swallowing Darkness:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars









Divine Misdemeanors:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars









A Shiver of Light:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!