Saturday, March 7, 2020

Week 10 Reviews: Marked by Evil, The Devil's Footprints


From Goodreads:
Sixteen-year-old Rachel DeLaune seems to have it all—she's smart, beautiful, favored by her father and envied by her sister. But none of that can protect her from the shadows she sees lurking around the house, the threats that seem to come from everywhere and the strange footsteps that she hears following her.

Fear becomes her constant companion as she tries to keep herself and her family safe. But who can she turn to when she can trust no one? When evil seems to lurk in everyone—including her own family…

From Goodreads:
The footprints were etched in the snow for miles, passing through walls and crossing rivers...appearing on the other side as though no barrier could stop them. In 1922 a farmer in Adamant, Arkansas, awakes to a noise on his roof and finds his snow-blanketed yard marked with thousands of cloven footprints. The prints vanish with the melting snow...only to reappear seventy years later near the gruesome killing of Rachel DeLaune.

Years after her sister's unsolved murder, New Orleans tattoo artist Sarah DeLaune is haunted by the mysteries of her past. Sarah has always believed that her sister was killed by a man named Ashe Cain. But no one else had ever seen Ashe. He had "appeared" to Sarah when she needed a friend the most, only to vanish on the night of her sister's murder. The past bleeds into the present when two mutilated bodies are found near Sarah's home, the crime scene desecrated by cloven footprints.

My first review of The Devil's Footprints
My Review:
Loved reading these again! I meant to read The Devil's Footprints last year after having read Marked by Evil the first time, but I didn't, so I decided to do it this year, which actually worked out, so I"m pretty please with it! And the fact that I read it so close to reading her other earlier books, well, there's a crossover character mentioned, from The Dollmaker, and yeah, that little connection made my day!

I had a suspicion reading Marked by Evil the first time. Which was a while after reading The Devil's Footprints for the 2nd time. So I don't think I was influenced by that. But I was right, though the hints were pretty big, so it was easy to catch them.

I remembered who the bad guy was in The Devil's Footprints. I looked for clues, but given the nature of the bad guy, well, I didn't find any. But it was so great to go on this journey, because it was spooky and mysterious and such a fantastic read!

I do wish that the ending had been a bit longer, because there were a few things I wanted to explore, like how the timing all worked out, and how much the bad guy actually did. Because I'm wondering who killed Rachel's dad? And the whole thing about the church and Sarah's parentage, it was almost flat out stated, but never explore afterwards.

This was a fantastic set of stories and I really enjoyed reading them! 

Author: Amanda Stevens
Series: DeLaune Sisters #0.5, 1
First Read: February 21st, 2019, June 4th, 2017
Read: March 2nd, 2nd, 2020
Source: Online free, Own
Reason Why: Rereading! And I love her books, and they're Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Books!
Publisher: Harlequin Books S.A., Mira Books
Published: March 1st 2008

Marked by Evil:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








The Devil's Footprints:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!