Saturday, March 28, 2020

Week 13 Review: The June Boys

From Goodreads:
From award-winning and highly acclaimed author Court Stevens comes a heart-wrenching story of small towns, rumors, and thirteen missing boys.

The Gemini Thief could be anyone. Your father, your mother, your best friend's crazy uncle. Some country music star's deranged sister. Anyone. Someone is stealing Tennessee's boys. Report suspicious behavior. The Gemini Thief is a serial kidnapper, who takes three boys and holds them captive from June 1st to June 30th of the following year. The June Boys endure thirteen months of being stolen, hidden, observed, and fed before they are released, unharmed, by their masked captor. The Thief is a pro, having eluded authorities for nearly a decade and taken at least twelve boys.

Now Thea Delacroix has reason to believe the Gemini Thief took a thirteenth victim: her cousin, Aulus McClaghen.

But the game changes when one of the kidnapped boys turns up dead. Together with her boyfriend Nick and her best friends, Thea is determined to find the Gemini Thief and the remaining boys before it's too late. Only she's beginning to wonder something sinister, something repulsive, something unbelievable, and yet, not impossible:

What if her father is the Gemini Thief? 

My Review:
Yeah, I enjoyed reading this book so much! The idea that your parent could be a serial thief of boys-who is holding your cousin captive, that's pretty scary. Then there's the back and forth between Thea and Aul's perspective, which confused me a bit until I realized that they were on different timelines. Yeah.

So the idea that her dad is the Gemini Thief was a bit one in this book. I kinda thought that it'd just be her and her friend group investigating him, but nope, law enforcement gets involved. But since Nick's sister is with the law, well, it gets complicated! Given that he hid he was building a castle from her, well, there is some trust issues there!

So Aul was writing notes to an Elizabeth, which puzzled me, since I had no idea who she was and how he knew her. At the end, there was a note that the Elizabeth was Elizabeth Smart, who was abducted as a child, and later came home. I did a little search, and it turns out that this was a real life case. And it makes sense that he was writing to her.

When we find out who the killer is, well, that's a pretty tense moment, given all the factors. It brought all the clues together quite nicely, and it made sense. I felt a bit bad, because it's just one hit after another, for everyone involved.

This book was an enjoyable read, I enjoyed the mystery and the characters, and all around great read!

Author: Court Stevens
Read: March 21st, 2020
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: I've enjoyed her writing, and it's a SAC 2020 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Published: March 3rd 2020
5/5 Hearts
4.5/5 Books
4.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!