Saturday, March 30, 2024

Week 13 Review: The Lady in Glass and Other Stories

From Goodreads:
A magical collection of stories new and old spanning across all of Anne Bishop's most beloved fantasy worlds.

Here, together for the first time, the shorter works of New York Times bestselling fantasy author Anne Bishop are included in one dazzling volume.

A master of bringing fantasy worlds to life, this collection showcases Bishop's impressive range, from rarities of her earliest writing to the Realms of the Blood, from darker fairytale retellings to the Landscapes of Ephemera, and from standalone stories of space exploration and fantastical creatures to the contemporary fantasy terrain of the World of the Others.

Includes previously published and unpublished tales, as well as two brand-new stories, written especially for this "Friends and Corpses," a murder mystery in which the corpse has some decidedly unusual qualities, and "Home for the Howlidays," a heartwarming return to the Blood Prophet Meg Corbyn and the shapeshifting Simon Wolfgard from The Others.

My Review:
I utterly loved reading these stories! I love her writing, and the fact that we were getting a new Others story with Meg and Simon, yeah, I was so excited to read these, and it was hard to wait to reread the series before picking this up. But I got there, and I loved reading these stories.

Both her early stories, and the fairy-tale retellings were pretty dark. Both in the stories and the endings. But I loved these stories, her takes on some familiar stories. I hurt for these characters, and raged at the unfairness, and I couldn't put them down!  

Home for the Howlidays was so fantastic! We haven't had Meg and Simon from their perspective since Etched in Bone, which I know I didn't read in 2017 when it came out, but it's been a while. So it was great to be with them, and I really enjoyed this story of Meg just wanting all her friends home for the "howlidays!"

This new world, with Cecily and this world with Deceased Reclamation officers, yeah, it was so interesting, and the mystery was so well done. I would love it if we could spend more time in this world, so that we could explore more, because I wasn't expecting what happened, and I need more! 

Loved reading this anthology, and I can't wait to read more by Anne Bishop! 

Author: Anne Bishop
Series: Black Jewels, The Ephemera, The World of the Others
Read: March 28th, 2024
Source: Ebook.bike 
Reason Why: Love her writing and these worlds, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2024 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Ace
Published: February 27th 2024
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!