Saturday, January 2, 2016

Week 1 Review: A Drop of Night

From Goodreads:
Five gifted teenagers are selected out of hundreds of other candidates to fly to France and help with the excavation of a vast, underground palace buried a hundred feet below the suburbs of Paris. Built in the 1780's to hide an aristocratic family and a mad duke during the French Revolution, the palace was sealed after the aristocrats fled there. No one has set foot in it for over two centuries.

Now, in the present day, the teenagers enter with cutting-edge technology, state-of-the-art security, scientists and chaperones. And then a brutal accident occurs. No way out. Caught in the dark.

They will have to fight to survive. But are they really alone in the depths?

My Review:
This book was so awesome! I thought that it was going to be something. And then it turned out to be something else! Though I would argue with the word "accident" in the synopsis, because it's a bit misleading, there's some elements of accident, but there's also others that take it out of accident and bring it to another word. Yeah.

Right off the bat, I really enjoyed Anouk's perspective! She was different, she was really smart, she maybe thought that she was a sociopath or something that ends with "path" based on her relations with others. But she loved her sister. Really awesome to read about her!

Then there were the 1780's bits. That was really awesome, to have the daughter of the one that had the Butterfly Place built, was really intriguing, and it gave so much to the story! I just really want to know what her mom saw that would have her rather face the rebellion then go back!

Really great ending, how everything came together, and how it worked out, why people had done what they'd done, and all sorts of interesting things! Though I'm wondering about the painting, and what its explanation is!

Really fascinating and kinda pretty terrifying book! Great ending, and I can't wait for more from Stefan Backmann!

Author: Stefan Backmann
Read: December 30th, 2015
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really fantastic, and it's a SAC 2015 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Expected Publication: March 15th 2016
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!