Saturday, July 14, 2018

Week 28 Review: Charisma

From Goodreads:
A chance at the ultimate makeover means deadly consequences in this Sarah Dessen-meets-Robin Cook thriller

Aislyn suffers from crippling shyness—that is, until she's offered a dose of Charisma, an underground gene therapy drug guaranteed to make her shine. The effects are instant. She's charming, vivacious, and popular. But strangely, so are some other kids she knows. The media goes into a frenzy when the disease turns contagious, and then deadly, and the doctor who gave it to them disappears. Aislyn must find a way to stop it, before it's too late.

Part medical thriller, part social justice commentary, Charisma will have readers on the edge of their seats.

My Review:
Wow, this book was really fantastic to read! I really enjoyed reading about Aislyn and her struggles with shyness and then with the drug, Charisma! It's a interesting idea, and especially since I'm shy myself made it just a bit more meaningful for me!

Gen therapy can work wonders-if it's done right. But in the case of Charisma, it isn't. And from the sneaky, rule-breaking way that Aislyn was offered the drug, you know that this was a shady deal. But Aislyn didn't expect for this drug to be able to kill her. Yeah. not cool!

I did think that there would be more time where Charisma was kept secret, but the cat came out of the bag about 1/3 in. It meant there was more of a focus on getting those who'd been hit hard by Charisma to get better, and for Aislyn to investigate, which was pretty awesome to read!

That ending, it was mostly happy with a tinge of sadness. And then that absolute last scene, that was pretty ominous! The fact that the doctor was giving Charisma out as a pill, after all the damage it's caused? Yeah, creepy!

I really enjoyed this book, it was awesome to read!

Author: Jeanne Ryan
Read: July 7th, 2018
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Sounded good, and it's a SAC Book 2018 Book, Sophomore Challenge Book and a WTC Book!
Publisher: Dial Books
Published: March 3rd 2015
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!