Saturday, May 28, 2016

Week 22 Review: Frannie and Tru

From Goodreads:
When Frannie Little eavesdrops on her parents fighting she discovers that her cousin Truman is gay, and his parents are so upset they are sending him to live with her family for the summer. At least, that's what she thinks the story is. . . When he arrives, shy Frannie befriends this older boy, who is everything that she's not–rich, confident, cynical, sophisticated. Together, they embark on a magical summer marked by slowly unraveling secrets. 

My Review:
Reading this book was really great! It was a book about family, about the truth, and about racism. That their family was in tight financial straights, and her cousin comes to live with them, with some secrets. And she is going to be going to a basically a public school where it's much more diverse then her private school.

Frannie was a bit naive. She thought a bottle of alcohol would cement her friendship with Tru like magic. And then a few other things along the way, as she experienced more, she grew up, and that was really great to watch her do that!

I loved the name of their band! Suck It, Sparrow, is definitely something unique, and just something said in a moment that got co-opted for being the band's name. So yeah, that would be a great story of naming their band!

One line near the end of the book, that she felt bad that she hadn't thought about some things before, I understand. I'm a sheltered, privileged white girl who grew up on the outskirts of a decent sized town near a big city. As far as diversity goes, of skin colour, sexual orientation and gender orientation, yeah, I can't think of many people off the top of my head who are different. Like I said, sheltered. I'd like to think I'd react well, but I'll never really know until it happens. Which isn't the same thing as this paragraph started, but they're connected. Kinda. Just my small attempt to explain why I feel the same way.

That ending, that was really great! It wasn't all good, what with Tru leaving without saying goodbye, and just after the truth of why he was sent there came out. And how her old friends reacted seeing her boyfriend come towards them. But yeah, the last chapter, doing the jumping into Prettyboy, I'm just wondering if it's Devon or some other guy, because there really weren't a lot of details (and the ones that there were, I don't remember what the characters descriptions are beyond boy/girl and skin colour.) Yeah.

Really enjoyed this book, it was just fantastic!

Author: Karen Hattrup
Read: May 25th, 2016
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a DAC Book, SAC 2016 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Expected Publication: May 31st 2016
5/5 Hearts
4.5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!