Saturday, December 14, 2019

Week 50 Review: One of Us Is Lying

From Goodreads:
The Breakfast Club meets Pretty Little Liars, One of Us Is Lying is the story of what happens when five strangers walk into detention and only four walk out alive. Everyone is a suspect, and everyone has something to hide. 

Pay close attention and you might solve this.

On Monday afternoon, five students at Bayview High walk into detention.
Bronwyn, the brain, is Yale-bound and never breaks a rule. 
Addy, the beauty, is the picture-perfect homecoming princess. 
Nate, the criminal, is already on probation for dealing.
Cooper, the athlete, is the all-star baseball pitcher.
And Simon, the outcast, is the creator of Bayview High's notorious gossip app. 

Only, Simon never makes it out of that classroom. Before the end of detention, Simon's dead. And according to investigators, his death wasn't an accident. On Monday, he died. But on Tuesday, he'd planned to post juicy reveals about all four of his high-profile classmates, which makes all four of them suspects in his murder. Or are they the perfect patsies for a killer who's still on the loose? 

Everyone has secrets, right? What really matters is how far you would go to protect them.

My Review:
Yeah, I knew I wanted to read this book, and I'm so glad that I did, because it was a fantastic story, I just loved the mystery so much! And the timing works out well, since the sequel is coming out in about a month, so that's not much of a wait time!

This mystery was really excellent. I've seen this book unhauled because once you know this mystery, well, what's the point in reading it again. I don't see that, the point of rereading is to see the little hints that came together in the end, as they unfold, and that experience is just as good as wondering what the heck was going on!

We alternated narrating perspectives between all 4 of these kids, these suspects in Simon's murder. They all have these secrets, their own potential motives as to why they could've killed Simon. I mean, none of them straight out thought that they had done it, but you know, there's the whole unreliable narrator, or keeping secrets, or not thinking about it. Yeah.

It really was one heck of a plan. And it could've gone much, much worse. I mean, there was mentions of school shootings, but making it interesting, unique. I guess it accomplished that. I mean, besides Simon, they're all still alive. They just had to go through a grueling legal process in front of the media first.

This was a really fantastic read, and I can't wait to see how the next crop of kids deals with their own mystery!

Author: Karen M. McManus
Read: December 9th, 2019
Source: Bought
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2019 Book!
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Published: May 30th 2017
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!