Saturday, November 7, 2020

Week 45 Review: Crownchasers

From Goodreads:
A deadly competition for the throne will determine more than just the fate of the empire in this riveting duology opener, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games, Aurora Rising, and Three Dark Crowns.

Alyssa Farshot has spent her whole life trying to outrun her family legacy. Her mother sacrificed everything to bring peace to the quadrant, and her uncle has successfully ruled as emperor for decades. But the last thing Alyssa wants is to follow in their footsteps as the next in line for the throne. Why would she choose to be trapped in a palace when she could be having wild adventures exploring a thousand-and-one planets in her own ship?

But when Alyssa's uncle becomes gravely ill, his dying wish surprises the entire galaxy. Instead of naming her as his successor, he calls for a crownchase, the first in seven centuries. Representatives from each of the empire's prime families—including Alyssa—are thrown into a race to find the royal seal, which has been hidden somewhere in the empire. The first to find the seal wins the throne.

Alyssa's experience as an explorer makes her the favorite to win the crown she never wanted. And though she doesn't want to be empress, her duty to her uncle compels her to participate in this one last epic adventure. But when the chase turns deadly, it's clear that more than just the fate of the empire is at stake. Alyssa is on her most important quest yet—and only time will tell if she'll survive it. 

My Review:
This was a really fantastic book! I loved the world, with the empire and the different races. I loved the quest, it was such a entertaining ride. And I loved reading about Alyssa, heir to one of the families, but who doesn't want to rule. It was such a fun read! Though there were some serious moments throughout. 

We were mainly in Alyssa's head, in the present. But sometimes, we would get parts of her past, the parts that lead her to the point she is now, as well as meaningful moments to her. We also got to be in Edgar's head, and if we are in the sequel, it'll be interesting, given the events of this book. I'm curious about him, because he's right on the edge of morality, and I'm wondering if everything is as it seems, or if it's straightforward...

And man, that ending! That honestly hurt, because . But the injustice of it all, well, we know Alyssa's not going to let it stand, though it's going to be a struggle. We had some little comments of what was going on in the universe as this was going on, and I think they're going to come into play in the sequel, and I can't wait! 

I have a few questions. What about her dad? We know about her mom, because she was the ruler before her uncle, the one that dies in this book. But what about her dad? Like, he wasn't mentioned really at all. Also, I want to know, I'm pretty sure that her uncle was poisoned. But by who? I'm leaning towards the religious group, though, given Alyssa's interactions with the ambassador, and his actions in this book.

This was a fantastic read, I loved the story, and I can't wait for the sequel! 

Author: Rebecca Coffindaffer
Series: Crownchasers #1
Read: November 3rd, 2020
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded and looked really great, and it's a DAC Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: September 29th 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!