Saturday, March 19, 2022

Week 11 Review: The Weight of the Stars

From Goodreads:
Ryann Bird dreams of traveling across the stars. But a career in space isn't an option for a girl who lives in a trailer park on the wrong side of town. So Ryann becomes her circumstances and settles for acting out and skipping school to hang out with her delinquent friends.

One day she meets Alexandria: a furious loner who spurns Ryann's offer of friendship. After a horrific accident leaves Alexandria with a broken arm, the two misfits are brought together despite themselves—and Ryann learns her secret: Alexandria's mother is an astronaut who volunteered for a one-way trip to the edge of the solar system.

Every night without fail, Alexandria waits to catch radio signals from her mother. And its up to Ryann to lift her onto the roof day after day until the silence between them grows into friendship, and eventually something more . . .

In K. Ancrum's signature poetic style, this slow-burn romance will have you savoring every page.

My Review:
Oh, wow, this was a fantastic read! Of a girl who is in charge of her little family unit, who has her close knit friends, and who doesn't have time for her love of space, anymore. I loved Ryann's story, and getting to know her and her friends, and watching her getting to know Alexandria! 

I was a bit confused about the chapter headings, before I figured out that they were the amount of time that had passed since the last chapter. After that, I loved them, getting that extra little bit of info, because sometimes, it's not obvious, and this let us know how long it'd been since we last saw these characters, however short or long it'd been.

As someone who is a homebody, the idea of going into space-probably never to return-is incredibly baffling to me. Like, leaving all your family and friends (because they're almost certainly not going to be approved to be on the mission at the same time as you) it's a kinda scary thought. And that Alexandria's mom left her lover and her new-born child? I can't understand it, but I can read about it! 

This book is set in the same world as The Wicker King-Ryann's best friend is Jack, August and Riya's son, Ahmed. So we do get to see the trio as parents, which I adored. But it was hard, because I wanted more of them as parents and adults, but this isn't their story. Bah!

This was a such a great read, and I can't wait to read more by K. Ancrum!  

Author: K. Ancrum
Read: March 14th, 2022
Source: Library
Reason Why: Loved her other book, and it's connected to The Wicker King, and it's a SAC 2022 Book! 
Publisher: Imprint 
Published: March 19th 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!