Saturday, March 26, 2022

Week 12 Review: I Am Not a Serial Killer

From Goodreads:
John Wayne Cleaver is dangerous, and he knows it.

He's spent his life doing his best not to live up to his potential.

He's obsessed with serial killers, but really doesn't want to become one. So for his own sake, and the safety of those around him, he lives by rigid rules he's written for himself, practicing normal life as if it were a private religion that could save him from damnation.

Dead bodies are normal to John. He likes them, actually. They don't demand or expect the empathy he's unable to offer. Perhaps that's what gives him the objectivity to recognize that there's something different about the body the police have just found behind the Wash-n-Dry Laundromat---and to appreciate what that difference means.

Now, for the first time, John has to confront a danger outside himself, a threat he can't control, a menace to everything and everyone he would love, if only he could.

Dan Wells' debut novel is the first volume of a trilogy that will keep you awake and then haunt your dreams.

My Review:
I loved reading this book! I've read some of his other books before, but this was his first published book-and I had thought that it was adult. But John is 15, so while it does deal almost exclusively with very heavy topics, it is YA, and I loved it!

John has rules so that he doesn't become a serial killer. But when bodies start to drop, well, he's hyper vigilant, in looking for the perpetrator. Because someone who is breaking the rules, that's someone that he can go after, even if it means bending them.

The first half of this book is set up for who John is as a person, and the mystery. And then we find out who the killer is, and all I wanted to know was why and how. It was just so entertaining watching John deal with it all!

That ending though, that was pretty intense! And quite clever, I really enjoyed watching it all play out. And it has me curious for where the series is going to go from here, because this was just a wild ride! I'm so excited find out! 

I didn't read the synopsis before I read this book, I knew I was going to love it either way, but it was a great read, and I can't wait to continue the series! 

Author: Dan Wells 
Series: John Cleaver #1
Read: March 25th, 2021
Source: Bought 
Reason Why: Really enjoy his writing and it sounded really good and it's a DAC Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book!
Publisher: Tor Books
Published: March 30th 2009
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!