Saturday, March 26, 2022

Week 12 Review: The Song of Achilles

From Goodreads:
Achilles, "the best of all the Greeks," son of the cruel sea goddess Thetis and the legendary king Peleus, is strong, swift, and beautiful, irresistible to all who meet him. Patroclus is an awkward young prince, exiled from his homeland after an act of shocking violence. Brought together by chance, they forge an inseparable bond, despite risking the gods' wrath.

They are trained by the centaur Chiron in the arts of war and medicine, but when word comes that Helen of Sparta has been kidnapped, all the heroes of Greece are called upon to lay siege to Troy in her name. Seduced by the promise of a glorious destiny, Achilles joins their cause, and torn between love and fear for his friend, Patroclus follows. Little do they know that the cruel Fates will test them both as never before and demand a terrible sacrifice.

My Review
:
I enjoyed reading this book, but I knew from what I heard about this book that it wasn't really for me. I owned a copy that I bought second hand, because it was part of a bundle, and it was one of the options to read, so I did pick it up. But I was kinda dreading it. And I was right, I did enjoy this book, but it's not something that I'd read again. I'm just not one for books that make me sad, you know? And given what the story is, it can't help but be sad.

I know almost nothing about Achilles, and Troy. That it was a long war, and Trojan horses, and that's the extent of my firm knowledge. There's a few pieces that I'm less firm on, but those might be in the collection social consciousness, and be warped. So I had no idea about Patroclus. But it was really great to see everything through his eyes!

Patroclus is in the shadow of Achilles, and he's fine being there. But oh, did he love Achilles. And Achilles loved him back, but fate was cruel. I loved their beginnings, but their ending, oh man, was that hard to read!

Even knowing that this book was going to be heartbreaking, it was just hard to know just how much it would hurt. Thetis, I don't know what I feel about her, so many of her actions hurt, but it all stemmed from the prophecy. Pyrrhus I absolutely hated. The way women are treated was awful. And the tragedy of Achilles and Patroclus. That ending was heartbreaking, but I'm really glad that we got that last paragraph! 

This was a a really incredible book, and I'm glad that it exists, because it seems other retellings of the tell (looking at you, Troy 2004 movie) weren't as good.

Author: Madeline Miller
Read: March 22nd, 2022 
Source: Bought
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a 2022 Retelling Reading Challenge, Historical Fiction 2022 Book and SAC 2022 Book! 
Publisher: Ecco
Published: September 20th 2011
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!