Saturday, May 20, 2023

Week 20 Review: The Violent Season

From Goodreads:
An unputdownable debut about a town marred by violence, a girl ruined by grief, and the harsh reality about what makes people decide to hurt each other. The Violent Season is a searing, unforgettable, and thrilling novel that belongs on shelf with Sadie and Girl in Pieces.

Every November, the people in Wolf Ridge are overwhelmed with a hunger for violence--at least that's the town rumor. Last fall Wyatt Green's mother was brutally murdered, convincing Wyatt that this yearning isn't morbid urban legend. but rather a palpable force infecting her neighbors.

This year, Wyatt fears the call of violence has spread to her best friend Cash--who also happens to be the guy she can't stop wanting no matter how much he hurts her. At the same time, she's drawn to Cash's nemesis Porter, now that they're partners on an ambitious project for lit class. When Wyatt pulls away from Cash, and spends more time with Porter, she learns secrets about both of them she can't forget.

And as the truth about her mother's death begins to emerge from the shadows, Wyatt is faced with a series of hard realities about the people she trusts the most, rethinking everything she believes about what makes people decide to hurt each other.

My Review:
This was such a great read! The concept of a town where violence happens once a year in November in this small town, yeah, I had to read it! And the wondering if it was real, was it not, was a big part of the tension in this book for me!

Wyatt is stuck in this town, her mom was murdered here, and she doesn't really have much opportunity to get out of town. And with her belief that there is something wrong with this town, that it causes violence every year...not a good situation! 

There were times that I didn't really like Wyatt. She hangs around her boyfriend, who is the bad boy, the one who moms tell their daughters to stay away from. Like Wyatt's mom, before she died, told Wyatt to stay away from Jack. Not that Wyatt listened.

I really enjoyed watching the mystery unfold, there was a red herring that I was really interested in with the one teacher. But oh, how it all turned out? That was unexpected and it hurt, but I couldn't look away, I had to consume it all! 

This was a fantastic mystery, and I can't wait to read more by Sara Walters! 

Author: Sara Walters
Read: May 19th, 2023
Source: NetGalley/Library
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a DAC Book, RR Book and SAC 2023 Book!
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Published: October 5th 2021
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!