Saturday, November 11, 2023

Week 45 Review: What Feasts at Night

From Goodreads:
Alex Easton, retired soldier, returns in this novella-length sequel to the bestselling What Moves The Dead.

When Easton travels to Gallacia as a favor to Miss Potter, they find their home empty, the caretaker dead, and the grounds troubled by a strange, uncanny silence.

The locals whisper of a strange breath-stealing being from Gallacian folklore that has taken up residence in Easton's home . . . and in their dreams.

My Review:
Wow, this was another fantastic book! What Moves the Dead was my first T. Kingfisher book, and I'm so glad that this has become a series, I love these characters, and watching them deal with another case was so great! 

Alex is a bit traumatized by what happened at the Usher estate, which just piles on trauma from the war. To have to come back to Gallacia, to kan's hunting lodge, for Miss Potter, she who studies mushrooms. So of course Alex has to be there! And of course things aren't as they seemed.

The threat in this book was a bit more hazy then the first. Which makes sense, since this monster attacks in dreams, and dreams are hazy. One thing that I really enjoyed, was that tinnitus plays a role, since I myself have it. I'm not sure exactly how it worked, only that it played a part.

This was another really great spooky, thrilling read with some really humorous narration from Alex, from the housekeeper who really didn't like kan, to the somber musings about the past and the war. It was just a really fantastic story! 

Loved reading this book, and if we get more books featuring Alex, I'd love it! 

Author: T. Kingfisher 
Series: Sworn Solider #2
Read: November 5th, 2023
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Love her writing and the first book, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2023 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Tor Nightfire
Expected Publication: February 13th 2024
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!