Saturday, March 2, 2024

Week 9 Review: A Feather So Black

From Goodreads:
Set in a world of perilous magic and moonlit forests, this seductive romantic fantasy tells the story of a defiant changeling, her cursed sister, and the dangerous fae lord she must defeat to save her family.

In a kingdom where magic has been lost, Fia is a changeling, left behind by the wicked Fair Folk when they stole the High Queen's daughter and locked the gates to Tír na nÓg behind them. Though most despise Fia's fae blood, the queen treats her as a daughter and trains her to be a spy. Meanwhile, the true princess Eala is bound to Tír na nÓg, cursed to become a swan by day and only returning to her true form at night.

When a hidden gate to the Folk realm is discovered, Fia is tasked by the High Queen to retrieve the princess and break her curse. But she doesn't go alone: with her is prince Rogan, Fia's childhood best friend—and Eala's betrothed.

As the journey through the forests of the Folk, where magic winds through the roots of the trees and beauty can be a deadly illusion, Fia's mission is complicated by her feelings for the prince…and her unexpected attraction to the dark-hearted fae lord holding Eala captive. Irian might be more monster than man, but he seems to understand Fia in a way no one ever has. Soon, Fia begins to question everything: the truth of her origins, the reality of her mission, and the motives of her mother the High Queen.
 
But time is running out to break her sister's curse. And unraveling the secrets of the past might destroy everything she has come to love. 

My Review:
I had such a great time reading this book! This world was so interesting, the Folk are a pretty popular topic to explore, and I was excited to see this take on them. The magic, of the items and the gates, and the premise of balance, I needed all the information! 

Fia was abused and gaslit by the High Queen, not that she knew or realized until she had her eyes opened in this book. The queen telling her that nobody but her could love Fia, of having her trained to be a weapon, no. I really didn't like the High Queen.

Neither did I like her daughter, Eala. She was just a little bit too manipulative, and I was always searching what she was saying for hidden meanings, what her true agenda might be. So while I didn't know what she was going to do, when she did it, I wasn't surprised! 

Between Rogan, Eala, and Irian, her emotions were all tangled up. They all had their moments, and there was a great cast of supporting characters like Corra, I loved Corra, with her way of speaking and helping for a price. It really rounded out this book! 

This was a really great read and I can't wait to see were the story goes from here! 

Author: Lyra Selene
Series: Fair Folk #1
Read: March 1st, 2024
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a 2024 Retelling Reading Challenge Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2024 Book! 
Publisher: Orbit
Expected Publication: March 12th 2024
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!