Saturday, July 14, 2012

Week 28 Review: I'm Not Her

From Goodreads:
"For the first time in my life, I didn't feel envy…"

Tess is the exact opposite of her beautiful, athletic sister. And that's okay. Kristina is the sporty one, Tess is the smart one, and they each have their place. Until Kristina is diagnosed with cancer. Suddenly Tess is the center of the popular crowd, everyone eager for updates. There are senior boys flirting with her. Yet the smiles of her picture-perfect family are cracking and her sister could be dying. Now Tess has to fill a new role: the strong one. Because if she doesn't hold it together, who will?

My Review:
This book, it's not for everybody. Because cancer is a tough topic, because it's a recent epidemic if I'm remembering things correctly, and it's something that can cause something, I think most people fear. Death. So yeah, not for everybody!

Told from the perspective of Tess, who's sister has cancer that is life-threatening, and how her life changes because of that diagnosis. Because that makes the home life brittle, and the school life with the new-found popularity, starts to take things in the wrong direction!

This book was heart-breaking, because again, cancer. Death. All that bad stuff, but God uses the bad things for good, and we see examples of that in this book, that while Tess starts down a bad path, makes mistakes, she learns from them. And that's good! (The learning from them thing!)

It was just really well written, a story of how a family individually, and together, deals with a very hard thing, focused on Tess, yes, but the rest of the family had roles too, and we got to see them, and with how it ended, that was really great!

Yeah, this really was a great book, and I enjoyed it a lot!

Author: Janet Gurtler
Read: July 11th, 2012
Source: Library
Reason Why: Sounded like a good book!
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Published: March 26th 2011
5/5 Hearts
3/5 Books
3.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!