Saturday, January 12, 2013

Week 2 Review: Seraphina

From Goodreads:
Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational, mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty's anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high.

Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered—in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen's Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life.

In her exquisitely written fantasy debut, Rachel Hartman creates a rich, complex, and utterly original world. Seraphina's tortuous journey to self-acceptance is one readers will remember long after they've turned the final page.

My first review of Seraphina
My Review:
Oh, how I loved rereading this book! And this is like, the first time that I've reread a book since I've started blogging, so it's kinda a big deal. Because it's been less then a year since I last read it too, plus with all the books on my TBR pile, yeah, this book is special!

I just really enjoyed being in this world again, with Seraphina and these characters, with dragons walking about, though with a great deal of prejudice against them, well, not everyone feels that way, seeing as Seraphina was born in the first place!

Loved how Seraphina and Lucian dug into the mystery, of the dragon that killed his uncle, and yeah, is doing bad stuff, and is her grandfather, though both he's in the situation don't find out till near the end!

These characters are just so incredible, from Seraphina with her secret half-dragon heritage and her love of music, Lucien, the bastard son of a princess and fiancé to the future Queen, his cousin and his devotion to the country, Seraphina's uncle, Orma, a dragon who doesn't fit the dragon ideal by being emotional, especially around Seraphina!

This was such a really spectacular book, and I enjoyed it so much! I can't wait for Shadow Scale!

Author: Rachel Hartman
First Read: April 29th, 2012
Read: January 11th, 2013
Source: Bought
Reason Why: Because I really enjoyed it the first time round, so it's a Rereads Book!
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Published: July 10th 2012
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!