Saturday, December 27, 2014

Week 52 Review: Angels & Demons

From Goodreads:
World-renowned Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon is summoned to a Swiss research facility to analyze a cryptic symbol seared into the chest of a murdered physicist. What he discovers is unimaginable: a deadly vendetta against the Catholic Church by a centuries-old underground organization--- the Illuminati. Desperate to save the Vatican from a powerful time bomb, Langdon joins forces in Rome with the beautiful and mysterious scientist Vittoria Vetra. Together they embark on a frantic hunt through sealed crypts, dangerous catacombs, deserted cathedrals, and the most secretive vault on the earth... the long-forgotten Illuminati lair.

My Review:
I enjoyed this book so much! I mean, I know what generally happened, I've read the book before, and I've seen the movie, but the movie stuck more in my mind, because it engaged more of my senses, so  yeah.

So yeah, there were a few differences between the book and the movie, like that Vittoria was kidnapped by the Hassian, that Maximilian was the one that went in and confronted the chamberlain, because the guy in the movie who did so, died with the 3rd cardinal, around the same time that Vittoria was kidnapped!

The short chapters. I just utterly adore them, because so many pages can go by in so short a time, and with the height of my TBR pile, that is just such a good thing! Plus, it like, always means that there's a ton of action, twists and turns, and they're just so good!

Oh everything that I could use to describe this, I think the best is a art-history-science-Catholic church-mystery-thriller. These are the main things in this book, and yeah, I really enjoyed what the Illuminati diamond turned out to be! And the fact that in this book, the Catholic church collected all that stuff about the Illuminati, and then just hid it away!

Favourite lines: "Why not make it three and get us there alive?" That is a good thought point! "Hell, no. A church is the one thing we don't have. Physics is the religion around here. Use the Lord's name in vain all you like. Just don't slander any quarks or mesons." Well, people have their priorities! "My God. I'm in the land of Oz." Not that quite extreme, but it is weird! "...wondering if she knew it was the ancient phallic symbol for masculine virility." Well, it doesn't really matter, because that's not what it means now! "It was ironic, Langdon thought, or perhaps fitting, that the Coliseum had served as the architectural blueprint for Harvard's Soldier Field-the football stadium where the ancient traditions of savagery were reenacted every fall...crazed fans screaming for bloodshed as Harvard battled Yale." Yeah, agreed! "Langdon had often wondered if there was a huge crate of stone penises someplace." Probably not, probably destroyed soon after they were taken off! "It says so in every rejection letter you curator ever sent me." Like, 4 letters? "Jaqui Tomao was the toughest librarian on earth." Aw, I wanted to take that role! "...and being known soley by one's first name was a level of fame achieved only by an elite few...people like Napoleon, Galileo, and Jesus....and of course, the demigods Langdon now heard blaring from Harvard dormitories-Sting, Madonna, Jewel, and the artist formerly known as Prince, who had changed his name to the symbol, causing Langdon to dub him 'The Tau Cross With Intersecting Hermaphroditic Ankh.'" That is an interesting name, and all to describe this symbol! So cute! "'Those...um...sun disks!' 'Thank you, Hitzrot. Go back to sleep.'" He's going to let the student-and encourage him-to sleep in class? Weird! "Neutrinos have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!" Nice to joke around with which definition of mass she's using!

Really enjoyed this book, rereading it, it's just incredible that almost the entire book happens in 1 day! And I can't wait to reread more!

Author: Dan Brown
Series: Robert Langdon #1
Read: December 26th, 2014
Source: Own
Reason Why: Rereading! And it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2014 Book!
Publisher: Pocket Star
Published: July 1st 2000
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!