Saturday, March 28, 2015

Week 13 Review: Counting to D

From Goodreads:
The kids at Sam's school never knew if they should make fun of her for being too smart or too dumb. That's what it means to be dyslexic, smart, and illiterate. Sam is sick of it. So when her mom gets a job in a faraway city, Sam decides not to tell anyone about her little illiteracy problem. Without her paradox of a reputation, she falls in with a new group of highly competitive friends who call themselves the Brain Trust. When she meets Nate, her charming valedictorian lab partner, she declares her new reality perfect. But in order to keep it that way, she has to keep her learning disability a secret. The books are stacked against her and so are the lies. Sam's got to get the grades, get the guy, and get it straight—without being able to read.

My Review:
This was a really fantastic! And like I noted in an earlier review, this seems to be the time where I'm reading about the various head conditions, since this is the 3rd one so far this week out of 4! And all of them are different, so that diversity was really great for me!

Honestly, for present day me, dyslexia would have been the worst thing to happen to me currently, if I'd had it. This is going to get a bit personal, but when I was having a hard time, books are where I went to. And if I didn't have that (since audio books weren't as popular back then) I don't know what I would've done. Sam, it's hard for her, but since she's had it for most of her life, she can deal, she's strong enough.

This book was really hilarious! Sam was really smart, and she knew things, and yeah, with the people that she hangs out with, from the Brain Trust that she eventually breaks, and Kaitlyn? and Eli, well, they have some pretty hilarious things to say!

What I got out of this book, was basically what Sam learned from the guy that really didn't like, things about difference. Difference doesn't have a negative connotation, it's neutral, it's just how we use it, that really determines it. So use it positively, because like that one ancient Greek philosophy dude is paraphrased, don't judge people, because well all have inner pain, and you don't know what their's is. Yeah.

Really excellent book, I enjoyed it a lot, and yeah, I'll be looking out for more Kate Scott books!

Author: Kate Scott
Read: March 22nd, 2015
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded good, and it's a DAC Book and a SAC 2015 Book!
Publisher: Elliot Books
Published: February 11th 2014
5/5 Hearts
4.5/5 Books
4.5/5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, this sounds like a great read. I have to add it to my reading list based on your review. How the heck did she hide a learning disability amongst brainy people? I like your statement about being different isn't a negative connotation. So true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! It was a really great book, so yeah that you're going to be reading it :) And I just got it from the book, because it's true! :)

      Delete

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!