Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Thorn and the Sinking Stone: Review

From Goodreads:
Warring families. Forbidden love. And danger they can't escape…

Daggers. Roses. Cowboys. Boat Men. Survivors of Earth's Last War, four "families" vie to rule the dreary streets of Rain City through violence and blood. Valencia Hara, Princess of the wealthy Black Roses, is raised in warrior ways with sharpened steel. But she is no ordinary Rose. She is Cursed—tainted with the ability to see seconds into the future…

To avenge his father's death, Sebastian Leold, of the rival gang Two Daggers, must face off against the Black Princess, he with his dagger, she with her katana sword. Yet a secret from a shared past leaves him unable to kill beautiful Valencia; nor can she kill him. For they once knew each other beyond their blood feud…and they have more secrets in common than they know.

But in a world filled with vengeance and violence, there can be no room for love…

My Review:
If I could describe this book in a sentence? Excellent star crossed lovers story with a supernatural twist! I loved everything about this book from the characters, to the plot, to the writing, yeah, just everything! It was just so great!

Valencia and Sebastian, well, they live in a not-so-good world. I enjoyed how it was set up with the 4 major "families" that had the various groups under the umbrella. Well, Valencia is a rose, while Sebastian is a dagger, so you wouldn't think they'd have a secret, but they do.

What that secret is, well, it's pretty important, so I won't say. But how it effects everything after they're supposed to have their face off, well, it had more ripple effects then could be imagined! So utterly awesome to read! Because how it ended? Oh, goodness!

One funny thing that I'd like to mention, I was born in Calgary, and I now live just 40 minutes away. So CJ Dushinski is now the second author that I know of that lives in Calgary (the other being Danielle L. Jensen, whose book I also enjoyed!) Yep.

I really enjoyed this book, and yeah, while I wouldn't mind a sequel or a spin off/companion novel, I know I'll read CJ Dushinki's next book!

Author: CJ Dushinski
Read: March 10th, 2015
Source: YA Bound Review Copy/NetGalley
Reason Why: It sounded good, and it's a 2015 Dystopia Book and a SAC 2015 Book!
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Published: March 9th 2015
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
4.5/5 Stars

Bio:
While attempting to navigate life as a responsible human being, CJ graduated from university with a B.Comm and worked her way along as marketer, copywriter, and graphic designer to earn a paycheck while pursing her passion for creating fantastical stories set in dark and wondrous corners of the world.  Born amongst the wheat fields and open skies of the Canadian prairies, CJ’s imagination has always run wild, taking her on adventures across the world from modeling in Seoul, South Korea to backpacking through Europe and surfing (poorly) in Hawaii.

After wandering through ancient cities and civilizations, learning from diverse cultures, and surrounding herself in new experiences, CJ was inspired and began work on her debut Young Adult novel THE THORN AND THE SINKING STONE, to be published by Entangled Publishing 2014/15. CJ currently resides in Calgary, Alberta Canada – home of the Canadian Rockies – and keeps one hand on her passport and pen at all times, ready to pick up, see the world, and weave her experiences into stories.

CJ is represented by Marlene Stringer of the Stringer Literary Agency LLC.

Contact and Buy AKA Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!