Saturday, September 12, 2015

Week 37 Reviews: Dark Metropolis, Glittering Shadows


From Goodreads:
Cabaret meets Cassandra Clare-a haunting magical thriller set in a riveting 1930s-esque world.

Sixteen-year-old Thea Holder's mother is cursed with a spell that's driving her mad, and whenever they touch, Thea is chilled by the magic, too. With no one else to contribute, Thea must make a living for both of them in a sinister city, where danger lurks and greed rules.
Thea spends her nights waitressing at the decadent Telephone Club attending to the glitzy clientele. But when her best friend, Nan, vanishes, Thea is compelled to find her. She meets Freddy, a young, magnetic patron at the club, and he agrees to help her uncover the city's secrets-even while he hides secrets of his own.

Together, they find a whole new side of the city. Unrest is brewing behind closed doors as whispers of a gruesome magic spread. And if they're not careful, the heartless masterminds behind the growing disappearances will be after them, too.

Perfect for fans of Cassandra Clare, this is a chilling thriller with a touch of magic where the dead don't always seem to stay that way. 

From Goodreads:
The revolution is here. 

Bodies line the streets of Urobrun; a great pyre burns in Republic Square. The rebels grow anxious behind closed doors while Marlis watches as the politicians search for answers—and excuses—inside the Chancellery. 

Thea, Freddy, Nan, and Sigi are caught in the crossfire, taking refuge with a vibrant, young revolutionary and a mysterious healer from Irminau. As the battle lines are drawn, a greater threat casts a dark shadow over the land. Magic might be lost—forever. 

This action-packed sequel to Dark Metropolis weaves political intrigue, haunting magic, and heartbreaking romance into an unforgettable narrative. Dolamore's lyrical writing and masterfully crafted plot deliver a powerful conclusion.

My Review:
Yeah, so fantastic and wonderful to read these books! I didn't really get much from the synopsis, on what to expect, so I went in with open eyes-and then these books just slammed me out of nowhere! They were just so freaking good, and I enjoyed them so much!

When I was first reading Dark Metropolis, I was a few pages into chapter 3, and between Thea and Freddy's POV chapters, I had an idea of what was going on.I knew that it was bigger then I was thinking, but I had an idea of what was going on, with the Bound-Sickness, and the vision that the pair of them had. And I was right on both counts, what was going on, and that it was bigger than I thought!

This world of magic, and Norms, it was so really fantastic to read about! And like any good series, the first book mostly wrapped up the conflict that happened in it while hinting of more, which happened in the second book, the conflict bigger, and almost unrelated to what happened in the first book, expect that it only happened because of the first book. Or rather, happened when it did. So awesome!

Glittering Shadows was pretty different from Dark Metropolis. For one, no more workers, for a lack of a better term. And more characters. And learning more about the world, because it was so much bigger then the hints that we got could explain! So awesome!

Loved that ending! So fantastic! If I'd read Dark Metropolis, then the ending of Glittering Shadows, well, I wouldn't know what the heck was going on, that was how much things had changed during Glittering Shadows, to get to that wonderful, amazing ending that I just absolutely loved!

Yeah, loved reading these books, and I need to read more Jaclyn Dolamore books!

Author: Jaclyn Dolamore
Series: Dark Metropolis #1, 2
Read: September 11th, 11th, 2015
Source: NetGalley, Tuebl
Reason Why: Sounded really good! And Dark Metropolis is a DAC Book, LLFL Book and a WoW Book, and they're both Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2015 Books!
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Published: June 17th 2014, June 16th 2015

Dark Metropolis:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars









Glittering Shadows:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!